1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can't believe I did it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mudduck, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudduck

mudduck New Member

(Longtime poster, alternate identity here.)

I wasn't sure if this should be on the journalism board or here, so if I screwed up, my apologies ahead of time.

I submitted my resignation today. I won't go back, no way, no how. For the first time in I don't know how long, I will not be covering games this week, I will not be writing a column, I'm out of the biz.

It was time. I'm not going to go into details for obvious reasons, but let's just say I don't believe I was treated fairly. Yeah, I know. Big surprise in this line of work. But a person can only take so much, and my limit was reached.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've never before quit a job without having another lined up. Journalism jobs where I live are few and far between and moving isn't an option. I do have an interview lined up for this week, but I can't help but wonder.

Will I be able to handle the non-newspaper world?

Those of you who left, do you miss it? Will life really be greener on the other side of the newsprint?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mudduck, did you quit because you disliked the business or disliked the job?

If you were unhappy, you did the right thing. I know it's trite, but things do happen for a reason.

Good luck.

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Mud, can you afford the move you just made?

4. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

I don't miss the newspaper world one bit. It is filled with bitter people with nothing better to do than make other people's lives more miserable than their own just so they can feel better about their own pathetic lives.
    I got out about two years ago and never looked back.
    Now, I write for three different websites, punch my own time clock and rarely have to wander outside of the office in my own home unless I want to go to a specific game. About 98% of my interviews are done over the phone and I have almost 100% control over what I write about.
    There are plenty of opportunities out there, even in sports, far away from the dying dinosaurs we call newspapers.
    I am sure you will land on your feet soon and you'll be a hell of a lot happier about life in general and yourself in particular.
    Good luck.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, you sure left that bitterness behind you, from what I've seen.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Translation: Newspapers were too hard. My new job is much easier.

Of course, I'm bitter though.

7. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

Incorrect translation.

Correct translation: Newspapers are filled with assholes like BertoltBrecht and Ben_Hecht so why in the world would I want to waste my time with sewage like them?
    There are much better places, and people, to spend your days with than these.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hi Dye! How's life treating you?

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Yet here you are.

10. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

Someone has to identify where the stench is coming from so that others will not be stained by it.

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

But there's so many assholes here, how do you have the time to deal with all of us?

Especially since time is too valuable to spend talking with sewage.

12. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

Called by God, of course you silly twit, to try to bring sanity to the insane and wisdom to the unwise. I'm doing so well since I cast off the chains of this dying industry that I have decided to see if I can lead as many to salvation as I can before it is too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.