1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Can't Believe I Ate Fast Food

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Like many of us, I'm sure, I ate too much fast food. And I liked it. Or so I thought.

After a physical on Oct. 27, I decided to get in shape and, more than anything, eat healthy. I also started walking every day.

I have not had potato chips, soda, coffee, pizza or fast food since — until today.

See, on Oct. 27 my blood pressure was 150/90 and today I had it checked so I can get approved for life insurance. My BP was down to 126/89.

As a result, I thought I'd "celebrate" with a Big Mac combo on my lunch at work. I thought, "what's the harm."

Well damn if it didn't taste like shit to me after months of bran flakes and carrots and fish and fruit. I can't believe how much I've been thinking, "I don't ever want fast food again."

Anyone else had a transformation or realization like this?

I was going to start back on coffee again each morning this week, but I'm thinking I'll have the same reaction.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I used to eat fast food all the time when I was living in a smaller town.

I got back home and started cooking for myself and was losing weight and feeling better. So I went out to a Jack In The Box, which was my favorite place, on a whim before work one night and couldn't eat half the burger I ordered, it tasted horrible.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope. It still tastes like heaven to me, even though I haven't had anything I really love from there in well over a month.

It will always taste good. Bran flakes and fish, however? Puke.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Well, yeah, together ... although if you crushed the flakes and added some herbs, it might make a good crust ... hmmm ... no raisins, though.

Hate fast food. I slip every once in a while when I'm in a hurry but otherwise, it's OK to give in sometimes, Pete.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

McDonald's tastes terrible no matter what the diet. But I have had stretches where I stay away from typical fast food for a while, and ya, it does taste different when you go back. I can make food that's as good as any fast-food place. The only thing I can't make that's comparable is pizza. Otherwise, I just stick to Subway or the occasional chicken tacos if I eat something I don't make.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I couldn't say the last time I ate traditional fast food. Still do Chipotle or something similar once in a while, but the McDonald's/BK stuff I don't miss at all (except McDonald's fries). Even when I did eat it, it wasn't as good as when I was younger.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

It's the cheese. I swear to God, they put crack in pizza cheese.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I haven't eaten cheese in a couple of months. I went a couple of years without buying cheese, so nothing I made during that time had it as an ingredient. We had pizza delivered to the office last week because of the bad weather and super-early deadline. I didn't eat a single place. Normally, I'd polish off an entire pizza (or more) if it was free.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Mmmm ... free pizza.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fast food tastes great always. It's addicting as hell too. I don't eat much of the stuff, but if I do I'm immediately craving more. Same goes with pepsi and coke.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As a friend of mine once said, to my great amusement, after I complained about a long drive-through wait, "it's not fast. it's not food."

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was just citing some of the foods I've been eating throughout the day. Not foods I've been eating together.

Draft saved Draft deleted