1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot believe Breaking Bad doesn't get more SJ love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I thought Jesse's breakdown at the crack house was a total Emmy clip. In a good way.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

A couple of those questions are answered in Sepinwall's Q/A with series creator Vince Gilligan:

Is it a safe assumption that the bodies in those bags on the driveway are just random airplane passengers?

Yes.

And in the finale, we see (Gus) finding out a whole lot about Walt during his visit to Hank's office.

The way we see it, in the writer's room, is that was not a surprise. Gus is, in our minds, like Bobby Fishcer. He's a master chess player, always thinking 12 or 20 moves ahead. He would never have gotten into business with Walt in the first place without doing due diligence: "Oh, he's a high school chemistry teacher, he has a brother-in-law in the DEA," etc. In my mind, Gus would be less than he is if he was to be surprised by that. It was interesting for us, putting those two worlds together.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/05/breaking_bad_vince_gilligan_se.html

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Giancarlo Esposito is like the reverse Ted McGinley - he's livened up a bunch of shows that have been on a couple of years.
    I think it would be a coin flip if Skylar stays after learning the truth. And the truth is, I don't even think its the lies, but Walt distancing himself from his son and the rest of the family. They really knew how to make viewers realize Walt is pathetic, by puttiing a Pontiac Aztec in the driveway.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Finally saw this one the other night, and ... wow. Still a little unsure about the ending, but it works on a lot of levels.
    I also loved the way they mirrored certain things throughout the episode:
    -- Walt running into the bald crackhead at the crack house, kind of a shadow of himself
    -- The shot of Jane's dad laying out her funeral dress, followed by the quick cut to Walt dressing his own daughter
    -- The continued presence of Gus, who probably followed a similar path as Walt through the drug world
    -- The grief that Jane's dad shows as he's unable to let his daughter go, contrasted against Walt's indifference as his family slips away
    -- And then at the end, everything comes together with the plane crash. Both worlds collide and are shattered. It was kind of poetic in that sense

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another thought ... what did the Fixer do with Jesse's money? He put all of the drug paraphernalia into the gym bag with the cash and toted it out, but it was never brought up again. Did the Fixer take it? Did Saul stash it away or steal it?
    I think that's going to be a big plot point in Season 3. I can't imagine they would have burned it.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Walt brought it up to Jesse in the rehab joint that Saul Goodman had his money.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ah, missed that. Thanks. I was watching it in bed at 1 a.m. with the wife sleeping next to me, and was having trouble hearing some of the lower-toned moments. I did hear him say that Saul was going to be taking care of things for a while, but not that he was holding the money.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

For seasons I don't understand, I've come to value Bubbs' opinion on many things.

Netflix sent the first two discs of the first season of "Breaking Bad" while I was out of town on business/vacation, and I'm about to start watching.

I know who you are and where you live, Bubbs. If this show sucks — though I doubt it will — you will pay.

Draft saved Draft deleted