1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot believe Breaking Bad doesn't get more SJ love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the show's finale. That evidence removal guy Saul sent was an interesting character.
    When I saw the truck with "NTSB" on the roof at the beginning of the show and Jane's dad at his job the beginning of the show began to make sense.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Strange finale. Still trying to compute it. Obviously more will be revealed next season, which kind of pisses me off to be honest.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess that's kind of the point.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

At least we now know where the red bear came from.

5. Bubbler

Having read the interviews with Gilligan, he wanted a butterfly effect-like ending where all of the bad Walt has done creates consequences he could never fathom.

The sky is falling, symbolically and literally.

OK. I still think a plane crash is over the top in making that point.

Still, it doesn't change the fact I'll be watching religiously as ever when the show returns, or, that Cranston, et al, deserve Emmy consideration when the time comes.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Emmys - Cranston a nom, Aaron Paul the win. Paul has been the best actor on television this year. He's a revelation. Very curious to see what happen to the Jesse character in Season 3. I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Loved the season finale. Jonathan Banks is one of my favorite character actors. Playing the cleanup guy, it was my favorite scene in the episode. The final payoff wasn't perfect, but it was still great storytelling with interesting symbolism. Hard to believe this is all by the same guy who co-wrote the atrocious film Hancock.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I love the show, but felt a little cheated by the ending to the season. I thought we deserved more of a payoff.

And I don't get how the plane crash is a result of Walt's corruption -- except in the most literal sense that at the moment of her death he could have interceded. Jesse is still a junkie whether any of this ever happened or not, he could have met Jane anyway, and she could have OD'd anyway. None of that happened because of Walt.

I get the symbolism, but if Gilligan is trying to imply the crash was Walt's sins coming home to roost, that seems to be stretching it.

8. Bubbler

Exactly how I feel. I appreciate the artsy move he's trying to make, but it's Stretch Armstrong-like metaphor.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I was hoping this season would end with Skylar knowing the truth about the meth.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I wanted to see it too, but I think it's a little too early for that.

11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I'll second (or third?) that thought.

As for the lack of a payoff, it does suck, but I guess most season finales go one of two ways -- wrapped up with a pretty, little bow or a cliffhanger. And this one definitely falls in the latter category.

It set up a lot of storylines for next season ...

-- Will Walt finally tell Skylar the truth?
    -- What's gonna happen with Jesse?
    -- Will Jane's father be back next season, and if so, how big of a role will he play?
    -- Now that Gus knows Walt's brother-in-law is a DEA agent, how will that affect the business relationship?
    -- Will I ever get to see Jessica Hecht naked?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't get to see the finale Sunday because of an out of town trip. Read the recap on AMC's web site, though, and .... huh? WTF? Two airliners colliding?
    Still doesn't explain who's in the bodybags (maybe it will once I actually watch it), but it is definitely out of left field. Like, the upper deck in left field.
    Like others, I would've loved a scene where Skylar goes to the garage to do some laundry, notices some of the insulation out of place, and pulls it back to find the money. And then starts putting 2 and 2 together. Maybe she did, or maybe there's still time.

Draft saved Draft deleted