1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot believe Breaking Bad doesn't get more SJ love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. Just finished watching the episode.

Once Walter decided not to save Jane, I thought to myself, "Shit, he just turned the corner. There's no coming back."

I realize this isn't the first time he's been involved in someone dying, but his instinct was to help her and he didn't. I feel like he just went over to the dark side.

As for the meeting in the bar, I didn't read too much into it. I figure Jane's dad probably lives relatively close to her and the bar is probably in the same general area. And Walter had just been to Jesse's place, so he headed to a nearby bar. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that interaction was strictly to tie some storylines together and nothing else.

And as for all this Hank love, I can't stand that douche -- or his wife, Marie. In fact, I could do without all of the characters besides Walt and Jesse -- and Saul, he's a keeper. The rest of them just get on my nerves.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

If Walt's wife rushes back to work and has an affair with the boss, she too can choke on her own vomit for all I care.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Walt went to Jesse's place intent on saving him, and he realized that Jane dying would be the ultimate wakeup call. And if Jane lived, she would just keep dragging Jesse down until he died.

I lean toward the meeting in the bar being a coincidence. Just a chance to set up a philosophical rumination about parenthood, with us knowing what perspective each man has.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That's how I took it as well. It made for fascinating television, that moral dilemma. It vaguely reminded me of Tony Soprano killing his nephew Chris. Of course they are very different characters and Tony forcibly ended his life, but there was a similar moral question that each character had to ponder. Each life probably could have saved rather easily. And at the end, Jane and Chris both died, which were two smart moves for the sake of business.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jesse still does a lot of the dirty work Walt is unable or unwilling to do, like gathering supplies when it's time to cook more meth or dealing with some of the street level stuff. And despite the shit Jane tried to pull, as well as Walt's fussing at Jesse, there's a certain level of loyalty there. I think both know they wouldn't have gotten this far without the other. Even when Walt was holding on to Jesse's half of the $1.2 million, I don't think Jesse ever really thought Walt would totally screw him out of it. And I don't think Walt ever had any intention of keeping it for himself.
    Now, if Jesse keeps shooting up and making mistakes, that could change in a hurry.

The big question now is, what do they do with Jane? It's an easy death to write off. But if the cops get wind that Jesse Pinkman was involved it's got to raise some flags after the stuff with Tuco. And I doubt her father will let it go that easily.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On a side note, I just thought it was funny that the guy who plays Badger is in that Right Guard commercial with Chris Paul. He even plays a stoner guy, sort of.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's in a Meineke commercial too.

Corporate America needs to give Sneaky Pete and Combo some love now too.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I agree with the latter. He made a conscious choice to let her die.
    Alan Sepinwall of the Newark Star-Ledger said it was like when Tony snuffed out Christopher in The Sopranos, and I tend to agree. We saw what a monster Walt has really become.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Great observation (as usual) by Sepinwall:

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He was on Reno 911 a few weeks ago, too.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Walt Jr's website really is online (the donate button takes you to the National Cancer Coalition):

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's pretty damn cool.

Has anybody else poked around on AMC's website for the show? They have this thing called the Breaking Bad Experience or something like that. Not much to it, just Walt outlining the show's concept. The twist, though, is that it's a POV thing. You're tied up with a bag over your head, and it starts as Walt pulls the bag off (it can even be personalized to say your name). You can look around the room by moving the mouse around, but if you take your eyes off Walt for too long he snaps and knocks you out with an ether-soaked rag. It's kind of fun to mess around with for a few minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted