1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot believe Breaking Bad doesn't get more SJ love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought it was a dream sequence at first, illustrating Hank's fear of being in the field. It was so odd.

I wonder where Vince Gilligan came up with that? He researches this stuff exhaustively, its why he had the narcocorrido intro to the show, apparently, odes to drug cartel personalities are a sub-genre all their own.

And yes, I had no idea what "narcocorrido" was until I looked it up.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What's the matter, Bubbler? You've never seen a severed head on top of an exploding tortoise before?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, Bubbler, any of the other half-dozen fans got anything to say about this one?
    Odenkirk was great as the lawyer. Plays the game all the way, then drops the bomb on Walt at the end. After that scene I wanted to punch him in the mouth.
    Also loved how Walt kept looking at Jesse when the lawyer was talking about offing Badger. Like he was trying to talk him into seeing a movie Jesse didn't want to see. Some great interplay between Cranston and Aaron Paul there. The way they've slowly flip-flopped Walt and Jesse as the moral centers of their partnership -- and turned Walt into a cold-blooded son of a bitch -- has been brilliant.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Damn I want to sing the praises of this show too, but I just had to scroll all the way down the page to avoid spoilers.
    Usually I don't give a crap about spoilers. But there are two shows that I can't have them. Lost is one, and Breaking Bad is another.
    Breaking Bad is the best dramatic show on TV behind Lost, and if you don't like sci-fi, then Breaking Bad is the best. Screw Mad Men, I'll take Walt and Jesse slinging dope every day of the week.
    When I eventually get cancer, and I know I will, this is my retirement plan. To the letter.

5. Bubbler

Good episode. Odenkirk is perfect as the drug lawyer.

Walt keeps making himself vulnerable -- showing himself to the dealers, showing himself to the lawyer, showing himself, in desperation, to the DEA. I'm beginning to think he wants to get pinched.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Why watch Breaking Bad on TV when you can see it in your local government? Terre Haute county board president pleads guilty to meth distribution.

http://www.wibc.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1089043

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I agree - this is the best show on TV that almost no one is talking about. The ending of the episode with Spooge and Skank and the ATM - and it finally opening its cache right into Jesse's waiting arms - was spectacular. They have some great character actors.... "Skank" is also "Patty the Daytime Hooker" from "My Name is Earl," which shows amazing range from funny hooker on one end to crazy meth-addled prostitute on the other end.
    And Odenkirk's addition was genius... I can't wait to see where they go with that tonight.
    "Want to make more money, and keep more of the money you make? Better call Saul!"
    Awesome.

8. Bubbler

I told the dude it was a good show ... he took it too far.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another holy crap episode. The photography was fantastic. You don't normally notice the camera work on TV episodes, but this one was fantastic. Like all great shows it's the big moments and the little moments "Funyons?, how are you still alive?" that make it great.

10. Bubbler

"A robot?"

I think Walt should try and make the feds think Saul Goodman is Heisenberg. Keep him as close as possible, make him know as much as possible.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"Wire!"

Jesse's stupidity is played extremely well. He does the dumbest possible thing at nearly every turn (and yet he still gets to bang the smokin' neighbor).

I thought they missed a good comedic opportunity. After they got the RV going, there should have been a shot of them in a situation where they're unable to stop because the brake pads are missing.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the brake pads. Did they remember to put them back on before they left? After they got what they needed from them, were they still any good?

I liked a subtle part of the "Wire!" scene, too. As he's explaining how the thing worked, Walt showed that he's still a teacher at heart. That's come out a couple of times this season. Well-played bit by Cranston.

Draft saved Draft deleted