1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I can cross that one off the list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 9, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, I finished flight school tonight. Damn, that feels good to say.

I still have a mostly symbolic three-week academic class remaining, but it's mostly an aviation planning course and will be super easy.

Started this trip about 12 years ago, when I took my first ride in a Black Hawk, and knew I wanted to sit in the front seat, not the back (they're much more comfortable up front, by the way).

I got to Fort Rucker about 18 months ago, and started flying a year ago, this week. And, tonight -- after a two-hour check ride -- I completed the Night/NVG (night vision goggles) course and put Lowe Army Heliport in the rear view for a while.

I'll be back. Everyone always comes back. That's why they call it Mother Rucker.

I won't pin my wings for another month, but as far as I'm concerned, it's ovah. Fin. Done. Complete.

I'm drinking the celebratory ZiegenBock, as we speak.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fantastic, t_b_f. You should be damn proud.

Congrats.

3. three_bags_full

I'm more proud of this one than finishing college.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Having finished college myself, I can fully understand why you feel that way. Everything you do because of the last year will be much more exciting than what I managed to do in my career the last 25 years, and that includes covering Super Bowls, NBA Finals, World Series and a US Open, among many other things.

You, sir, will be doing much bigger and better things. I just hope you keep letting us know about it all.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

congrats man. will you still be stationed in this great state?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was really hoping you were checking "threesome with Hawaiian Tropic girls" off your list, but this is still pretty exciting. Good for you, TBF. Congrats.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Way to go, TBF. Hey, I have these really annoying neighbors. Now, I'm not suggesting you blow them up or anything. Just scare'em a little. Chopper over their house a couple nights in a row might just do the trick ...

9. three_bags_full

Yep. We're headed out the door now to go look for a house.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Well done, TBF!

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

good luck house hunting. that area of the state is really nice, especially in the fall.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Best part of TBF's training, he can go scouting for houses from the air.

Congrats man. You're one of the best people on here. I'm proud for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted