1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I buried my wife yesterday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, May 1, 2021.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agreed. The actions of both heyabbott and exmediahack in their difficult times are something to strive for.

My condolences to you and your family.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For some reason I keep thinking of the Sullivan Ballou letter vignette from Burns' Civil War series. You obviously loved your wife as much as he loved his.

I hope knowing you did all you could for as long as you could will eventually bring you some comfort.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Sad news, maybe even sadder because we knew it was coming.

Strength and comfort to you and your family, Yab.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to read this, Abbott, and so very sorry for your loss. Wishing peace and comfort for you and your family.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We're all different in real life than we are on the big bad internet.
    We're different at home than we are at work.
    We're different to our family than we are to our friends. And even among our families, there are only a very tiny number who know who and what we really are.
    And it hurts to lose them.

Remember the best of her. You will, of course.

SFIND, FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. May her memory be a blessing.

Know this: Doctors, nurses, the clinicians you met along the way take it personally. It's true whether it's their tenth patient or their ten thousandth. They wanted to win this for you and your family. It doesn't make it any easier. Still, you need to know you and she were not fighting this alone.

We're here, too, Island of Misfit Toys that we are.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I’ve lost my best friend. Until she went
    into the hospital on March 10 we probable slept in the same bed every night for 34 1/2 years except may 30 nights.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You're a well-seasoned age like me, so you already know this, but as time goes on you'll see your children (or their children) saying or doing little things, and you'll see a flash of your wife.

I see my nieces/ nephews mimicking mannerisms of their grandparents, gone a decade or more before their birth. Or even the great -grandparents their parents never met.

If you believe in the afterlife and spiritual connections, it makes sense; even if it's only shared cultural background and subliminally transferred behaviors, it's still pretty amazing.

At first it'll hurt, but then you'll think, "that is so goddamn cool."

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This may be the most spot-on thing I’ve ever read on this site. I come from a large extended family, and I can testify that all of the above is SO true.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I just saw this, I'm so sad to hear it. I hope you can find comfort.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Going to echo File on how spot-on this is. My daughter was born three years after my Mom died but I swear on all things holy that from day one she looks just like her. She's in that phase now where she's losing her baby teeth and the adult teeth are coming in somewhat awkwardly (hello braces) and she looks just like my Mom going thru the same thing at the same age. Even more eerie/cool is that she's got the temper of my wife's Grandpa, who died seven years before my daughter's birth.

Going back even further, my then-teenaged sister was in a serious car accident in 1993 and believes my Dad's Mom, who died in 1969, was her guardian angel during those hairy few hours (she actually had last rites read). I'm less spiritual now than I was then, but I still believe her.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

This is how my Dad was with my Mom. It's been 12 years and while it hurts as much as it did the day Mom died, he finds some comfort in his surroundings (lives in the same house, whose decor has not changed since 2009--my nephew, now weeks away from graduating high school, is still a kindergartener in the framed picture in the living room) and new routines. He shops on a certain day, goes to church on a certain morning, does laundry and cleans the house on certain days, etc. He gets his papers every morning and reads them throughout the day, watches his financial shows, etc. Between my sister, a few miles away, and me, a couple hours away, we are in constant touch. I speak to him every night. And he visits my Mom's gravesite almost everyday. I hope you and your children are able to navigate this together and sort of figure out your new normal--an overused yet wholly appropriate phrase--alongside one another.

Draft saved Draft deleted