1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Bought Two CDs Yesterday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Still buy CDs. The hard copy won't crash. That's what I use in my car; not lucky enough to have an iPod jack in the car, so have to use one of those radio transmitter things. Great when driving across the middle of nowhere, bad when within 50 miles of a city.

Never download albums on iTunes, just a song here and there. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned that the iTunes mp3 album download is inevitably of lesser quality than an original CD copy, for the audiophiles out there.

2. Definitely still a CD buyer. Bought Kris Kristofferson's debut and a Little Feat studio CD from the late '70s the other day. Then I transfer to the iPod.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An external hard drive will not work?

This is no different than saving digital pictures, right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't have an MP3 player so I always buy CDs. Just bought the new Son Volt CD last month and am liking it more and more with each listen.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There may be more options for sourcing music - legally and illegally - than there were in those days, but scouring the bins for buried treasures was, to me, one of the great things about being a music fan back then.

Toronto had some great record stores back in the day. Enormous places like Sam The Record Man and A&A's, right in the middle of all the action on Yonge St., and other places like the Record Peddler which carried records you'd never find anywhere else. All gone now.

I'd plan monthly excursions downtown. I could get current stuff at any of the three record stores in the local mall but downtown I was in search of deep catalogue stuff, imports or out-of-print titles that might be hanging around the delete bins. For bootlegs, used stuff and promo releases there was always the Vinyl Museum or the Incredible Record Store.

I'd pore over those massive binders with the yellow and blue pages indicating what was available (anybody else remember those?) looking for stuff to search for. The guy who ran the local Sam's was awesome and would order anything I wanted (and occasionally let me borrow store copies of new releases he thought I'd be interested in) but to me the search was half the fun.

The staff was great too, people who really knew their product in the blues and jazz categories, areas I was getting in to when I was in high school. Now, more often than not, I find out about new artists from this place (my boy PC put me on to The Gaslight Anthem).

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If there is one thing Bill Simmons does or used to do well it was tip you off to great bands.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ain't buying an external solely for music when I can have a hard copy for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I love buying CDs, just love to have it in my hand. I mostly transfer them to my iPod just because it's convenient, but I still listen to them n my car.

Going to the record store is one of my favorite things to do. I can browse forever and just get one or two CDs. Last one I got was the new Wilco. Still like the mom and pop stores, I'll pay a buck or two more to help them out.

Also download because it's cheaper and I get gift cards. But CD all the way. I need to convert a bunch of cassettes to mp3s too.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Downloading illegally doesn't provide the same rush as shoplifting CDs.

10. maberger

maberger Member

what took so long on 'raising sand?' it's an awesome album.

the new son volt is pretty good too.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You have the worst musical taste in the history of sound.

12. Phenomenal purchase. Wish I could have seen them in DC.

Draft saved Draft deleted