1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe the children are our future and it's a bleak outlook with this kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find some medical authority who would testify that the experience of being physically assaulted (grabbed from your car, thrown to the ground) could precipitate or exacerbate a heart attack.

Plus the only evidence that the heart attack was already in progress prior to the robbery is the testimony of the perp himself.

Uh huh.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I may be missing something, but that story doesn't say the kid testified, or if he did, that that's the only evidence they have.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

1) I think based on the way it was used and that it came from a police press release, the term "actor" is their way of saying "suspect" or "perpetrator." That's technically fine, since an actor is one who is acting and this guy was committing an act, but the understood definition makes you think Shakespeare at the Park or some such shit.

2) Is it preferrable (from the, um, actor's perspective) to be robbing a person in the throes of a heart attack, or robbing what on surface appears to be a healthy person? If they're not charging him with murder, I guess the latter, since I guess they can make a case that the action triggered the heart attack if he wasn't already having it. But it makes you look pretty awful in front of a jury to be picking the pocket and stealing the car of a dying man.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they really want to nail the kid, they should try to turn him over to the feds. He robbed the guy, pulled him from the car and took the car. Sounds like a textbook case of carjacking to me, and whether the guy was dying before or after the incident shouldn't matter. Charge him under the federal statute, get a conviction and the kid serves 25 to life.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bleak, indeed...

Not sure what's worse: Elvis has fallen off the list of baby names -- or Bentley (the name of the 16 year old whoremom's baby on MTV) is one of the fast-growing names.

Heaven help us.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110505/NEWS21/110505004/Elvis-not-baby-name-list-first-time-since-1955-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Forget Bentley, I'm pretty sure I read that Khloe reached near the top 100.

Interestingly, Barack didn't reach the top 1,000.

Slate had a good article on this topic; basically, a name has to palatable BEFORE it gains TV popularity for it to truly catch on. Chloe, Zoe, people knew these names. Even Bentley was a familiar word. But Barack? That's straight out of left field, so no one's getting that name.

Draft saved Draft deleted