1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe the children are our future and it's a bleak outlook with this kid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If a child has a fever of 104 and could easily be cured with some anti-biotics and you for religious reasons won't get said child any medical attention and said child dies, isn't there some law broken there?

2. I don't think so. If there is, there shouldn't be and the law should be unconstitutional since it would violate the First Amendment. Such a law would be prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The child also has the right to life. Sometimes rights conflict.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If 15 years of watching "Law & Order" reruns have taught me anything, it's that there is something called "depraved indifference." If there's anything similar in Pennsylvania law, it should be good enough to at least sustain a manslaughter charge.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Thanks Batman - That is the phrase I was looking for. Depraved indifference should allow the prosecutors to ring this kid up for manslaughter.

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Jackie Chiles: You people with the cheese. It never ends. Hello? Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh. Good Samaritan Law? I never heard of it. You don't have to help anybody. That's what this country's all about. That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable. Hold on. Suzie, cancel my appointment with Dr. Bison. And pack a bag for me. I want to get to Latham, Massachusetts,right away.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tie the kid to a chair, and make him watch every single Pirates game from 1993 to the present.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. The difference? Certain special relationships impose a duty to help. Parent-child, teacher-student, doctor-patient are some examples. However, a stranger has no common law duty to come to the aid of another.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"one who takes part in a situation"

It's an old-time use of the word.

You have two males in the scene of the crime. One you can use the name of, but the other you cannot use their name due to being a minor. You do not want to call him a minor or a boy, because you might charge him as an adult, so actor works. Plus, this was in a quote and not the author's words.

10. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Wouldn't the felony murder rule apply? They should at least give it a shot. Maybe with the heart attack starting before the felony there would be a defense but there could be an argument that the robbery and assault worsened it and turned a non-fatal heart attack to a fatal one. C'mon, PA - give it a shot!

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was about to post this. there must be some 'negligent manlaughter/homicide' to cover something like this, no? 'depraved indifference' sure sounds about right to moi.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

DAMMIT! Someone always beats me to the punch.

Draft saved Draft deleted