1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe John McEnroe believes he could beat Serena

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 20, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There is no glory for Serena to beat McEnore, only shame to lose. He's old and slow.

Let's see how Serena would fare against Tim Smycezk. Love Love?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You could count the number of points Serena would win on one hand.

Last night Serena's average serve was 106 mph.

McEnroe sees faster SECOND serves on the seniors tour.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

In a sense, McEnroe already won. People are talking about him, and this increases the chance of the match happening and him getting a big payday. Those were probably the two things he really wanted.

4. BTExpress

To be fair, he simply answered a question posed to him on Kimmel. He didn't seek out any attention from his statement, nor did he disparage Serena or the women's game in any way.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Everyone that thinks Serena would beat McEnroe are the same people that think Rousey is unreal and the people that think Rousey is over-hyped are the same people that think Mac would thump Serena lol.

I think McEnroe would beat her. But to the guy who even threw out the hypothetical of Griner vs. Dr. J, Dr. J would whip her ass 21-0 or 21-1 in a game up to 21. Griner is 6-8 and can barely dunk and can't do it on the spot per her ESPN episode.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not so fast. I think McEnroe could probably beat just about everyone else on the women's tour. Serena is a different player because of her size, strength and ability to cover the court.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a great analogy because of the extreme crossover in the fan bases between tennis and MMA.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Julius Erving is 65. The NBA-TV documentary "The Doctor," which was released in 2013 (thus shot when Erving was 62-63) ends with Erving dunking in an empty gym.

He could just barely rub it in. It was a dunk, but just by the fingertips. Presumably it was the best take available.

For what it's worth (nothing), I'd guess that Erving-Griner, right now, would be a fairly decent matchup. Erving might still win, but it wouldn't be 21-0.

Bottom line, none of these concocted battles-of-the-sexes mean ANYTHING.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Yeah I guess I was just trying to say Griner is very over-rated. Dr. J as long as he could dribble and shoot would roll Griner. Dr. J 15 years after retirement against Griner in prime is probably 21-3. But you're right doesn't really matter.

10. BTExpress

Yes, she's big . . . for a woman.

Yes, she's strong . . . for a woman.

Yes, she covers the court well . . . for a woman.

Which means nothing when she is playing one of the all-time great male players in tennis history. Someone who slugs it out with the likes of Andy Roddick, Pete Sampras, Ivan Lendl, Mats Wilander and Jim Courier on the seniors tour.

She's the best of her gender, and that's saying plenty. But it's not like she rolls over her opponents 6-0, 6-1. Hell, she's lost 20 sets to these other tiny, weak, slow females just this season.

She went to a second-set tiebreak Sunday against Simona Halep. Does anyone on this board believe Simona Halep would beat McEnroe?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted