1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe John McEnroe believes he could beat Serena

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I have seen him play recently, and he's still an amazing volleyer. He still serves-and-volleys, which would make for a fascinating contrast in old-way vs new-way style.

It would be close, but I give the edge to Johnny because he's a lefty and... Drumroll...

A man.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Should you lose your woman card for saying that?

3. He's 56!
    Serena is on the cusp of winning the Grand Slam and her second Serena Slam.

If Serena were to lose, it would only show the huge disparity physically between the sexes.

McEnroe might be able to hold his own for while, but he'd lose. It would be a replay of the Battle of the Sexes all over again, with the same results.
    She'd mop the court with him, seize his head band and wear it as a garter to Flushing Meadow.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes. That's correct.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

McEnroe's best friend and agent both think he'd thump Serena. Therefore, that's what would happen.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I saw McEnroe hold his own against Andy Roddick last year. Lost something like 7-5, 6-4. They play regularly on the seniors tour.

That's an Andy Roddick who was younger than Serena is now. An Andy Roddick against whom Serena would never win a fucking game.

Was Roddick playing 100 percent? Doubtful. But then, No. 300-ranked Karsten Braasch said he was only playing 50 percent when he wiped the court with the Williams sisters several years ago.

Riggs threw the King match, BTW.

Four months earlier he beat No. 1-ranked Margaret Court, 6-2, 6-1.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is he going to play with his Jack Kramer ProStaff?

Put me down for Serena if they go head to head today.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He was 26 years younger than King. But Riggs did beat 30 year old Margaret Court earlier that same year.

But this is all bull shit. In her prime Serena may be the best women's player ever. When Martina was in her prime everyone thought she was overly muscular. She looked like Stephen Hawking compared to SWilliams, a behemoth. Williams would have destroyed Billie Jean, Chris, Martina, Stephie. But you cant compare women's tennis to mens. It doesnt work. We've all gone through this numerous times. Serena couldnt get out of the 1st round of any sanctioned professional mens tournament. The chances of her doing so are about equal to the #64 seed beating the #1 seed in the NCAA BB tourney. Women golfers have a better chance to succeed on a mens tour event.

Why dtract from what she's accomplished by saying she couldnt win the NCAA mens tennis chamionship

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe you believe this. But I don't believe it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think Serena in her entire career has faced someone who could cover the court as well as McEnroe would even at age 56. He is also a good amount taller with more reach.

As for her serving, it's average for the men's tour and certainly nothing that would surprise McEnroe. And that's her first serve. She would have to convert about 90 percent, because he would destroy her on the second serve.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

what part dont you believe?

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They're phasing out the cards. It's an app now.

So yeah... Take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted