1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I ask a serious racism question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jul 8, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm sure the network will lose much of its huge black GOP constituency of which you speak over this. That will show them!

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed. One of my favorite West Wing shows was when the network presidents told Toby that they were going to cover one hour of the coventions.

"One hour per night?" he asked in surprise.

"No ... one hour for the week," replied one of the TV execs. "The nominees speech ... and the ballons ... we like the balloons."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Do either of the conventions conflict with the Olympics?

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Negative, I love politics as much as anyone, but the one time every four years where Track and Field, gets a whole lot of coverage is enough for me.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

C'mon folks, this is not a hard concept. A board of mostly journalists should be able to distinguish between a news organization and an entertainment organization. TV One's purpose is not to provide balanced news coverage, as Fox News pretends to do. It simply airs programming that its viewers are likely to be interested in, just like any other entertainment network. Accusing them of racism is like criticizing the Lifetime channel as sexist because it doesn't air ultimate fighting to balance out all that female-centered programming.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If the conventions were a new invention, they wouldn't get the kind of TV coverage they do. At one point, the conventions were news -- presidential nominees were decided and platforms meant something. The last convention that had actual news value was probably 1980 when Teddy was making his last-ditch effort. In their current state, the networks are basically running political infomercials without charging the parties for the cost.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think this is about color and that color is GREEN. I don't know how this is different from news orgs showing 7 minutes of HOLLYWOOD BUZZ and maybe 20 seconds of Iraq. If you thought cable news was about fairness instead of reaching a desired audience, you are kidding yourself.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

it is racist, but because it's reverse racism, it's OK...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the Democratic Party isn't mostly white. ::)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So they should ignore the Republicans? Bullshit (and I'm a Democrat). Cover them both or not at all. To do otherwise is irresponsible.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. If they don't cover the GOP, that doesn't mean the GOP won't be covered at all.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Access Hollywood is interviewing the Obamas, I'm sure Barrack is quaking in fear of Maria Menounous.

It reminds me of a recent story about "celebs" who make five figures a throw to attend parties at various clubs in Vegas, L.A. and NY.

Sure its a joke, but I figure the conventions would get more pub on the "news" if Lohan, Brittney or Paris were delegates.

Draft saved Draft deleted