1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I ask a serious racism question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jul 8, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Just throwing it out there: How is this any different than covering the local athlete in the 100 meters at the Olympics?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The YES network isn't covering the Red Sox, either.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

There are a lot more black Repubs than that CEO of the network brushed off the question with.
    This is coverage of a NEWS event, and wouldn't you cover, even if not as much, the crowning of the person who will face Obama?
    It's irresponsible.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Rodgers, if I remember correctly, used to be GM or News Director at Chicago's WBBM-TV, so he should know better than to say:

"We are not a news organization," said Rodgers, speaking at the opening session of the semi-annual Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills. "We are a television network designed to celebrate African American achievement."

"My audience is 93% black," Rogers added. "I serve my audience."

===

If Fox announced they would not cover the Democrats in Denver (because only covering the Republicans in Minneapolis would serve their audience), can you imagine the outcry?

This is not a smart decision, IMHO. Yes, it borders on racism....not totally there, but it does border.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of responsibility, it's a matter of preference. FNC, if it were being honest intellectually, would cover only the GOP convention.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wouldn't care if Fox didn't cover the DNC, as long as they finally acknowledged that they aren't a news organization.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And if a black man were the Republican candidate, they'd cover that. This isn't about the party, it's about the nominee.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

What responsible organization, news and or otherwise, wouldn't think of covering BOTH sides of a national news event?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The one that caters only to a very narrow audience.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

From the story:

When critics pressed a panel of TV One’s convention pundits about whether African American republicans will feel slighted, Underwood said, “I speak for all eight of us -- we are not slighted.”

11. markvid

markvid Guest

40 million homes isn't that narrow.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But it's not a news organization, and it's a private organization that can go to whatever the hell it is allowed into.

Draft saved Draft deleted