1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am young and looking for a critique

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was being a little hard on pride of pleasantville because it seemed too coincidental that Bleacher Reporter would become an issue in the SportsJournalists.com news and here comes young Thomas as one of Bleacher Report's rising stars.

2. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

Really work on your grammar and spelling, I only read half of one of the stories and saw numerous errors.

I am curious as to why a lot of errors showed up in your articles, but not as many when posting here? You're probably slowing down when typing your post here to make them sound and look good, and you should do the same in your writing.

I would assume the reason you haven't heard back from the papers is because you are an eighth grader. No offense, but there isn't a whole lot you could do for them at your age. Keep writing and improving, then get back to them when you hit junior year.

3. Thanks to everyone again. I plan tomorrow to write another article on Pat Venditte (the ambidextrous pitcher) I have talked to him for about ten minutes and he seemed like a really nice guy. I will proof read and use some of the tips you guys gave me. Thanks, Thomas.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That faint sound you hear is a thousand sports writers howling in laughter.
    Now, at this age, as a part-timer writing whenever you want, you can have a social life. When you get older, get into the business, and start working 40 weekends and 250 nights a year? Not so much.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Stay away from Bleacher Report. Start up your own blog and use Google AdSense to try to make a little money.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll go a step further. Go onto a college's sports web site after a basketball or baseball game. Find the box score, play by play and maybe the postgame quotes. Try writing 200 words (about 5-6 paragraphs) just from that. Get the who, what, where and why and find something interesting about the game.
    What was the most important thing that happened in that game? Other than seeing who won and lost, why should anyone care what happened? You should be able to answer those questions in that little space. If a baseball team scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth to win, don't leave that out to tell me they scored one run in the third inning.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I refuse to critique an eighth-grader. You get to college, then you're fair game. :)

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For the OP, remember that you have a lot of time to break into the industry. You probably won't be able to help out at the local paper until your 16 because of labor laws. Then you have to worry about college.

Wait 9 years and then start applying for jobs in Hungry Horse or Roswell.

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

Man, I did some stupid shit when I was young and hanging out here but I was never this stupid.

That being said....Thomas...follow your dreams. A lot of people and a lot of things told me to find something besides journalism. That's what I've always wanted to do and I get paid to do it now. It's not the best paying job but I never have a day of work where I think this is complete shit. I really enjoy what I do and getting paid for it even if the sum isn't what I'd like it to be. Happiness and following your dreams are way more important than anything else.

Set goals and it'll amaze you what you accomplish.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Was it really that long ago when "social life" meant being with people instead of sending them short, inane comments?

11. ringer

ringer Active Member

Interesting thread. My two cents?

If enough grammar and spelling aren't being taught in your school and you aspire to be a writer, then read BOOKS -- and/or writing of good quality -- instead of text messages.

You've already acknowledged that texting is reinforcing bad habits. Those habits will kill you later (i.e. on your high school papers, the writing portion of the SAT, college application essays, term papers, cover letters, resumes...not to mention your articles).

12. I am an avid reader. The only thing I can do is maybe when texting use proper grammar more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.