1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am young and looking for a critique

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pride of pleasantville, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thomas,

I assume you are pulling our leg, but I will play along.

You can't write stories about one half of a game. You need to be able to write quickly and accurately if you want to write for papers or websites. One of the rarest and most important skills of a sports writer is to be able to go to a game and turn in a story in 15 minutes, an hour, two hours, whatever.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Try writing about sports that takes place in your town. There is at least one high school that probably doesn't get everything covered. Writing from a couch based on what you watch on TV or read from other Internet sights won't help you.

3. I am not exactly sure what you mean. Based on my schedule to write the other half, i would have had to skipped all my homework. The game was already a week old when i wrote the story. It was just the first thing that popped into my head. I know that i could not do that. I am not stupid.

4. I did. The story that the person 2 posts above you is talking about is my high school.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, it appears you did it for the whole world to see and asked professional journalists to critique it.

6. Yes. I did. I also wrote other articles. If you are going to write me off on that, that is fine. But I don't think you understand I do have other activities and i need to do those. I know that I can not do that. But it will be a two piece article. And I would hope for a critique on the things I wrote.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Thomas, know your spelling and your grammar as well as punctuation rules. Always proofread and fact-check, since it appears you have no editor.

I glanced at the Pinstripe Bowl thing and there are more errors that I care to count. I don't mean to discourage you, but that shouldn't have been posted as is.

Hang in there, though. It's a start. You're in a different situation than most of us were. Our beginner's errors weren't broadcast on the Internet for all to see. Yours are, and your readers won't care that you're in eighth grade; all they will see is someone who can't spell "Notre" or "Starr," capitalizes common nouns and uses a word like "predister" when I think -- but am not sure -- you mean "predecessor."

Perhaps you can talk to your English teacher and her him or her look over your stories before you post them. It always helps to have a second pair of eyes.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you want to stay in sports writing, you're going to need to learn to skip out on your classwork and give up any kind of social life.

9. That is my one weakness, grammar. You would be shocked how little grammar is taught. That was my fault, it talked about some editor, so i thought they would edit for me (which now i realize, is silly) so my first 2 i did not edit. The last one I did quickly, but that is something i need to improve. And Ace I assume that is sarcasm.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A little sarcasm. You won't really need to blow off classes and dates until college.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do they teach you to capitalize 'I' when referring to yourself?

12. Yes they do. And I try to use capital I in referring to my self.However texting probably destroys any grammar I have learned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.