1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am the last man in America to have seen Shawshank Redemption

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is where she does that shit with her hair ...

[​IMG]

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maine or Georgia? Apparently, the prep editor from Augusta, Ga., just took a job in Birmingham ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51570/

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Two observations:

1.) You can't watch this movie on TNT and TBS and "get it" -- you need the profanity and everything else the network cuts out.

2.) I'd like to think that the last thing that went through BYH's head — other than that bullet — was to wonder how the hell he went so long without seeing this movie.

4. Steel Magnolias for men, is what it is.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuckin' A.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Version 2, if for nothing else than the fantastic Raquelle Welch poster.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do not want to ruin this for others, but if you have not watched it yet, I honestly do not have any sympathy for you if this gives anything away.

We all saw this movies multiple years ago, but I like hearing a fresh perspective. Did you think Andy did something terrible to himself on that night of the thunderstorm? I remember thinking that the first time that I watched it until I heard the click, click, click of a stone bouncing against stone.

What great symbolism in the movie as well. Something that does not truly belong like a glass rock in a wall or a giant tree in a field.

"I wouldn't say "friends". I'm a convicted murderer who provides sound financial planning."

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FG shouldn't have been Best Picture in ANY year. Bullshit, handwringing piece o' crap. Unwatchable.

The '94 Best Picture was Pulp Fiction, of course. Its chance of winning, given the Academy
    electorate: zero.

It's a cruel world.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Honestly.... if you think that Forrest Gump is unwatchable, you are absolutely fucking nuts in my book.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Respect your opinion . . . but different strokes.

Premise was bad enough, but some of the interaction scenes between Hanks and Sally Field made me want to go 140 into an abutment.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I agree that it does pale next to Shawshank.... but very watchable.

Agreed, though... diffrent strokes

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love The Wire, so you know I'm not completely off-kilter.

Draft saved Draft deleted