1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am the last man in America to have seen Shawshank Redemption

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Ummm...I think this revelation belongs on the "Why are you weird?" thread.

Fucking freak. :D

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have you beat. I still haven't seen Shawshank.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

BYH, a man who crawled through a river of SportsJournalists.com posts and came out clean on the other side ...

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

N-i-c-e

But does that make spnited the Warden?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I, too, have yet to see this movie. Maybe the title simply hasn't drawn me in.

6. Shawshank is one of my go-to films. I have some I absolutely love (Fight Club, LOTR, American History: X, etc.), but this is the one that I can virtually guarantee everyone will like. Thus I recommend it a lot.
    I think it's one of the top five films I've ever seen, and I watch a ton of movies.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ellis Redding used to hang out here now and then but I guess he got paroled

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't say how many times I've seen this.

I will say this; you did the right thing to give it your undivided attention, because it is such a great movie it deserves nothing less.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

we can now call it, "the byh redemption." maybe that will finally draw in those who have resisted thus far. 8) 8) 8)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The original title of the Stephen King short story was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption." How's that work for you?

But I agree, the title's kind of unappealing. Right up there with "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" in its unwieldiness.

Nevertheless, it's regrettable if you let that keep you from seeing this movie. One of those, with Hoosiers, The Godfather and some others, that will make me stop what I'm doing to watch every time it's on.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. To all four sentences.

When my best friend was off at boot camp (Parris Island) after we graduated from high school, every letter I wrote her began with a Shawshank quote: "I hope this letter finds you, and finds you well."

I hesitate to ask this on a thread where some of y'all feel pride at never having seen Shawshank, but here's a question:

How many of us have read the original Stephen King-written story? (Damn, Snake beat me to it!)

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

So I was in high school when you were born?

Damn. That's depressing.

Draft saved Draft deleted