1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am thankful....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm also thankful I don't watch the Capitals very much anymore. They're on now. Lord do they suck A steady diet of this would make me nuts.

2. lono

lono Active Member

I have six young family members in our home this weekend.

The sounds of their joy and laughter fill our home, and with it, my heart.

To watch them grow and become their own people has been one of the real blessings of my life.

To know what they've come through along the way fills me with awe and pride.

They remind me of what matters in life.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think we're all thankful for that.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm thankful ...

-For my health, and I have a daily reminder of how lucky I am for that.

-That my stepfather is in a much better place mentally following one of the scariest scenes I've witnessed in the last 10 years not too long ago.

-For the people on this board who have put up with my ranting and various outbursts the last few months, undoubtedly the most difficult of my adult life.

-For a certain someone who has made a big difference ... and I don't think she knows it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to thank her enough.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Could be worse; it could be the Knicks.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Health, family, friends, in that order. Lord knows they're all I have.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Like everyone's list, this is hardly exhaustive or complete.

* Health. Can't do much without it.
    * Family and friends. No less true for being obvious.
    * Work. I love my job, even though I live in semi-poverty. That says a lot.
    * Church. Yeah, it might be surprising if you're familiar with my posts (the drugs-and-ass-themed exchange on another thread being a classic example), but I actually am a believer. After a two-decade hiatus from organized religion, I've returned, and I'm very pleased with the experience so far.
    * A certain adorable babe from Long Island. If this keeps up, I may have to take notes from Boom and 21 on successful Celtic-Jewish romantic relations. As I recall, the fictional Glass family from Salinger's works was a Hibernian-Chosen People hybrid. Hopefully there's potential for a union just as charming but less neurotic.
    * Ramones for happiness, Dwight Yoakam for sadness, The Clash for thrashing and skanking, Bob Marley for being I-rie, Minor Threat for moshing, Duke Ellington for reflection, Miles Davis for thinking, Kate Bush for dreaming, Pete Yorn for having a crush, David Gray for falling in love, Chet Baker for being in love, George Jones for when love goes wrong, Tom Waits for sipping cabernet, Pogues for real drinking, The Clancy Brothers for when you're too drunk to find the Pogues record, Harry Connick for putting on a coat and tie, Charlie Rich for loosening the tie and unbuttoning the top button, Los Lobos for Saturday afternoon in the barrio, James Brown for Saturday night in the ghetto, Johnny Cash for Sunday morning coming down, Waylon Jennings for working, Townes Van Zandt for road trips, Willie Nelson for cooking enchiladas, Count Basie for a Sunday evening, Billie/Ella/Lena/Sarah when The Voice is all that matters, Stan Getz for the sax, The Stones and The Who just because, and Bob Dylan for everything. For music, the sound of life.

So much for serious stuff. Here's a frivolous list.

* Red Sox. Yeah, I know they're about as hated as the Yanks these days, but I'm happy 'bout it all.
    * Blackhawks resurgence!!! Just seeing them be competitive makes me feel like a kid cheering Denis Savard again.
    * Cowboys kicking ass. I've mixed feelings about the Cowboys and football in general, but these Cowboys are more likeable than any since the Cotton Bowl days.
    * All Guinness and Murphy's products.
    * Horny text messages.
    * Burritos with habanero salsa.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you forgot about me, you sonofabitch.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For my wife. That is all.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's funny. she was thankful for everything but you.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

COCKDIAN!

Congrats, Good Doc. Seriously, I mean it.

And Tom, of course I'm thankful for your sharp-tongued, rock-and-roll ass. You keep this place in line and provide more than your share of the laughs. Props to the guy who's the board's biggest soft-touch and hard-ass, all at the same time.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I am thankful for my husband.

And the snow I can see on the ground outside my window. It's been two years, snow. I've missed you.

Draft saved Draft deleted