1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am thankful....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm thankful to Rosie for starting this thread.
    I'm truly thankful for family and friends; even the friends who are only a screen name on a silly board found on a URL floating out in the middle of the world wide web.
    Hug your grandparents -- you'll miss them when they're gone.

Sometimes life sucks. Sometimes it's what you make of it and often, it's just whatever the big guy wants it to be. No matter what, it's family and friends who make it all worthwhile.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm thankful I didn't have a big target on my back like a lot of colleagues did during our recent buyouts. (We lost 42 from editorial and 87 from the building.)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm thankful that they've finally put a name to what's wrong with my youngest brother. Maybe now, my biological father will get off his back and the bro can focus on himself and get better.

I'm thankful that my mother's rhumatoid arthritis hasn't progressed this year, and that she was able to go back to work this year.

I'm thankful that my sister keeps popping out babies, so nobody expects me to :D

I'm thankful that I've got my cats around for Thanksgiving, since I'm by myself and I have to work. They love turkey!

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

...for my mom and my grandmother, and the rest of my very small family.

...for my even smaller circle of friends, who manage to keep in touch and support each other even though we're spread across the country.

...to be employed doing work I sometimes love at a job I don't hate (most of the time). I may be frequently frustrated and looking for new opportunities, but that doesn't mean I don't treasure the ability to have fun while paying the bills.

...for my dedicated colleagues, though we sometimes drive each other crazy.

...for the not-so-local library, which supplies me with books, CDs and even DVDs almost on demand -- and for free!

...for my cracked-up car, but only because it's necessary. Also the indoor garage space that ensures I never have to shovel snow!

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more over the weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I just found my new Thanksgiving pre-meal speech. Well-said.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm thankful that the company is having Thanksgiving dinner catered for those of us working tomorrow ... even though they announced yesterday that it will be delivered at 1:45 p.m. and kept in hot containers for all the news and sports desk folks who don't arrive until 4 p.m.
    Yum, yum.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm thankful to finally have a job that allows me to be a full-time writer, at a paper that is driven and ambitious, in a great city with a lot of things to see and do. I'm also thankful that football season is essentially over, which means I will finally have time to see and do a lot of those things.

I'm also thankful for a great family, whom I see way too seldom, and my small group of really close friends. Some of whom are regulars around here.

To all of you:

[​IMG]

8. pallister

pallister Guest

At our shop, all the food is sent home with various employees working the holiday and they have to cook it and bring it in.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's how it was done here last year. In a different office now, so not sure what we'll get tomorrow.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was being a little facetious.
    I truly am thankful they do spring for dinner here on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Over the years it has gone from glorified Swanson's to absolutely delicious. Other places I worked, somebody had to check around to see what fast-food places would be open. One time, the only option was the 7-Eleven deli case.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

My wife.
    My work.
    My health.
    My family.
    My friends.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

In that order?

Draft saved Draft deleted