1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am taking my column and going home

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right. Dude had a job. There are plenty of unemployed journalists and that asshole had to make it all about him.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

Or perhaps because it's filled with more mistakes than a second grade book report.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I was on a second-fiddle beat for many years, and there are times I had frustrations similar to what this guy was feeling. I had enough perspective, though, to remember that I'm on a second-fiddle beat and that's how it is.

If this guy is worth a shit, he's already regretting this.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Pete does get an SID job with FIU, he can demand more coverage from the Herald [/crossthread]

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Just wait until the FIU sports site plays the Miami-FSU game bigger

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Pete's ex-teammate, Greg Cote, weighs in on his blog:

PETE PELEGRIN: Pete is the defrocked Herald sports writer who covered FIU, was removed from the beat for being too much of an evangelist for it, then wrote an angry blog post ripping the newspaper for what he perceived as anti-FIU leanings before quitting. The blog post was erased but you can read it here. I am not sure if what Pete wrote serves him well. I think it a bit sad. I think somebody probably needed to douse Pete with cold reality water a while ago and inform him that FIU gets covered less in general than UM based on reader interest and logic, not based on any mysterious or nefarious bias.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And not that far behind the Canes anyway, unless they're playing FSU or Va. Tech.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Sure, Hondo.

Miami 2009 home attendance (no FSU or V-Tech): 47,551
    FIU 2009 home attendance: 10,204

Mustangj17 is right though -- Eastern Michigan averaged 5,106 last year, which makes FIU look like Miami.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are D-II teams, heck, maybe even a few D-III teams that draw more than E. Michigan.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Interesting the "evangelist" part. Explains a lot, explains the apoplectic reaction.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to collect the phone numbers of the people who called to complain I was biased toward one school and have them talk to the people who call a few weeks later saying I'm biased toward the other. They'll have a lot to talk about.

Draft saved Draft deleted