1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am taking my column and going home

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I covered small schools for big papers and managed to have a realistic idea about the play of my stories. And for a reporter to think the play of an FIU story is "unfair" compared to a UM story just seems unprofessional.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There's no way that blog post went through an editor. Zero. It came down as soon as an editor saw it and found someone who knew how to delete a post.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It's amusing the way he went about it. But I think most editors would love to have reporters who care that much and so passionately about their beats. He went about it the wrong way, but I can't say I don't understand where he's coming from.

4. WS

WS Member

I do wonder if this was Pete's way of saying "I quit" or if he had given his notice 2 weeks ago, then had this planned.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If he cared so much about the beat, why did he leave it? It's one thing to fight behind the scenes for better coverage and more prominent play. It's another thing entirely to abandon ship. Especially in such a public and whiny way.

6. WS

WS Member

He wasn't really the beat writer anymore. They put someone else (Adam Beasley) on the beat to take Pete's place, originally. The FIU fan(s) complained, and Pete was put back on, but with Adam. But Adam got to do the good stuff, like go to practice and games, and Pete was relegated to backing him up, or so it seems, if that makes sense.

Sounds like he got tired of that and moved on. The FIU people are pissed now because Adam isn't perceived to be an FIU fanboy (I'm not saying Pete is one, but that's how the FIU readership seems to view him, and that's how they want it because they are fans).

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many readers will cancel their subscriptions now?

9. I think Pete's an FIU fanboy after reading one blog post. The readership was probably on the right track.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hey now, they'll get their one victory this year. Baby steps, ya know. 0 wins to 1 win, etc.

And they'll have their biggest crowd of the year against Army. Two years ago, they had almost 15,000 for that game (granted a ton of them were Army supporters).

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

He comes off as a ridiculous homer...there's something to be said for going out gracefully. What happens at his next job if he's asked to stack the bean cans, but he feels his talents should be used in the cereal aisle? Is he going to take over Register 6 and voice his displeasure to the entire store?

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Still, one point needs to be taken into account. Maybe it was a fluke, a trick of the light or whatever, but that is a truly impressive tan.

Draft saved Draft deleted