1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am so pathetic...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I don't know why I do this to myself.

I covered a huge event yesterday. Huge as in HUGE.

So, this morning I'm reading some of the other stories by other papers about this event.

And I'm berating myself. Why didn't I mention this? Why didn't I mention that?

Does my story have unique perspective which the other stories didn't offer? Yes.

But I'm still mentally beating myself for things I didn't put in and for what I wrote.

*Sigh*

Maybe it's the lack of coffee, but I doubt it.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It would only pathetic if you didn't notice or care. Sounds purely professional to me.

And you know the other guys picked up today's paper and thought the same as they read your stuff.

Have a good day, Rosie. 8)

3. bob

bob Member

Throughout my career, hardly a day has passed when I haven't experienced those same feelings.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Agreed! Be proud of the unique perspective. Your story is different -- and likely better -- than the rest of the crowd, and that's something to celebrate.

Most people are always most critical of their own work.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

It's not pathetic, Rosie. You're just being critical, which is what we do in this line of work, and people of our ilk are most often our harshest critics.

Make a note of what they got that you didn't, note what you got that they didn't, then go about your day. Some good coffee and kicking ass on the next story will have you right back in a Good Place.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

LOTS of coffee. ;)

I know I am my own worst critic, which is why I try to avoid re-reading much of my writing once it's been published. I tear it apart.

Usually I don't cover events of this magnitude, but every time I have, this is what I do.

Probably good that I have the weekend off. :D

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Surest way to get better. Next time, you'll remember one of the things you're beating yourself up over now, while you still have a chance to do something about it. But you still have to let the writing flow -- you can't second-guess your way through your first draft, which usually is all a deadline story can be.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Rosie:

People who are convinced they are God's gift as writers usually suck as writers.

And none of them can probably kill a penalty like you can.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

This reminds me of my favorite quote: "Hold yourself to a higher standard than anyone else expects of you."

It's a great way to stay driven and not rest on your laurels; however, it makes "beating yourself up" a regular occurrence. But it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're so evil, slappy.

I'm just mad I didn't get to post that link first.

12. bob, you hit the nail on the head. rosie, i've felt the same way most times. i think part of it is that i do try to think outside the box and try to give readers something they won't get in the competition. doesn't mean i do it properly, but i do think an alternate perspective is a good thing to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted