1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am so done with Oreos. And Happy New Year.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 19, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is not really a holiday thread, but it’s sort of related, so L’Shana Tova if you are so inclined, and may your dinner not include any Oreos whatsoever.

So I’m going to my friend’s house for Rosh Hashana, because a) Boom is away and b) my mother will not be there. I ask my friend what I can bring, thinking about wine or maybe a nice fruit plate……and she says, ‘Bring dessert.’

Now, asking me to bring dessert is like asking someone who doesn’t drink to bring the beer…like asking a vegetarian to bring hot dogs. I don’t eat dessert. I definitely don't make dessert. I do, however, have a sneaky thing with Oreos. I realize, pursuant to the White Castle ordeal, it may appear I have some kind of eating disorder, ie spontaneous attraction to really bad food, but other than Oreos, I eat very clean. No soda, pasta, bread, meat, grease (WC notwithstanding), and definitely no dessert.

So I call my sister. ‘I need to make dessert.’
    I can hear her clenching. ‘Dessert? Can you just buy some fucking dessert?? I don’t have time to teach you dessert, Lou's head is stuck in the laundry chute, I need to go to Mom’s and set him free, I don’t have time for your fucking dessert.’
    I didn't even know there was a laundry chute.
    ‘Just give me an idea.’
    ‘Jesus, 21, I don’t know, make that thing, you know, that thing? With the Oreos? Pudding and Cool Whip and some other stuff? Figure it out, I have to go, Emmah is cutting the dog’s hair.’

The thing with the Oreos, okay, I can do that. In fact, I’ll give you the recipe here, if anyone wants. Very easy. If you still want Oreos after this.

The Oreo part of this mess calls for 3 bags of smashed Oreos. I’m sure there’s a very Top Cheffy way to smash Oreos, but all I know is 1) take handfuls of Oreos, and 2) smash.

For 15 minutes, I smash. When I am done, I look like I’m wearing Oreo mittens. An inch thick from fingernails to forearm. Actually somewhat erotic, to be honest, if you're into that sort of thing.

I move over to the sink to rinse off, and here is what I learned: Oreos are waterproof. That sneaky frosting in the middle is nothing but disgusting corpulescent lard, blended with axle grease and disguised to taste like sugar. For ten minutes I held my hands under hot water, with dish soap, and could not get the Oreo sludge off my skin. You could have clogged the entire Lincoln Tunnel and had enough left over to do Drew Rosenhaus’s hair, with what was on my hands. After the chocolate part finally rinsed away, I was still covered in half an inch of waterproof oily white gunk.

It took lemon juice, nail polish remover, 409, and club soda to finally get clean.

So I’m sorry if you’re an Oreo person, but you might as well eat congealed bacon drippings with a spoon, because that’s what we got here.

Let me know if you want the recipe.

And Happy New Year.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Aren't you supposed to scrape the filling out before making dishes like that? I always clean the cookies before crushing them.
  3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, you put them in a freezer bag and hit them with a rolling pin.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

or just put them in a zip lock back before smashing them.

Oh, and Oreos are the one snack I refuse to give up. Went grocery shopping yesterday and bought a ton of fruit and veggies to snack on ... but I had to throw in a box of Oreos, too.

EDIT: IJAG beat me to it.
  5. imjustagirl

I had a box of Double Stuf in my hands Thursday when I went shopping. They were on sale. I put them back.

I still regret it.
  6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I bet you did really good on your ACT.

With a gun to my head, I would never have thought of that. Also, I don't have a rolling pin. Probably could have bashed it with my laptop.

DOUBLE STUF?? You could pave the entire Autoban.
  7. imjustagirl

I did do really well on my ACT!

I've never crushed Oreos though. I've cooked less often than you have. But that's how my mom always crushed the graham crackers when she'd make pies.

YGBFKM Guest

You know you're not much of a household engineer when IJAG is giving you cooking advice. :D
  9. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm not proud. I still want the recipe.
  10. imjustagirl

Smashing cookies doesn't count as cooking!
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what you need.

It's easy and it's awesome. We fight over it at my parents' house on holidays.

Good luck.
  12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, apparently, smashing cookies is difficult for some.
Draft saved Draft deleted