1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am so angry ... a drunken driving rant ... sentencing held

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry too, Rosie.

And I'm a bit confused. You said it was 58 months, but also five years and eight months. 58 months is actually 4 years and 10 months. Did the guy get credit for jail time or something like that?

Either way, it's a sucky sentence.

2. Here in British Columbia, the new limit is .05. Anything that or higher and you're busted. Frankly, it's causing a lot of panic on both consumers and the restaurant/bar industry.

3. So very sorry for your loss, Rosie.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any panic. Make sure that the restaurants and various watering holes have the numbers to every taxi service in town - where applicable - and if enough of those places are worried about lost revenue, they can pitch in, hire a driver or two and offer a Sober Ride.

For example, there's a relatively small town in South Carolina which had enough sense to do so. No reason places in B.C. cannot do the same.

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Maybe other provinces/states can follow B.C.'s lead. That'd be nice.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My error - the sentence is 68 months. I shouldn't post when I haven't had enough coffee, I've been so fixated on the five years. :(

Writing a column about this for Sunday's paper right now. *sigh*

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Rosie - When the column is printed, can you please post it on this thread? Thanks.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that some day we will be shocked that people used to legally be able to drive after a beer. I think decades from now the limit is going to essentially be .00. The liquor and restaurant lobby is strong, but probably not so strong that it can't be outlobbied over time, particularly if the change is incremental as it has been.

Economically, it would probably a mistake because the lost revenue for businesses far, far outweighs the amount of damages done by someone driving at .01 or .02 or .03. Same thing with the amount of resources that the police have to use prosecuting those cases, jail space used, etc., etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted