1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am looking for some opinions. Is it spam?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

For those who don't know, I am a disc jockey (I still do some sports...don't toss me off the board :)).

Today, I got this e-mail in the station inbox:

Hi, my name is XXXX. I am a Seabees with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion XX, XXXX.
    I'm in the Navy Reserve and currently deployed in Kuwait. The military Exchange's got poor music selection. So I was wondering if you guys could send some used CD's . Me and the guys

Down here in Camp XXXX are crossing our fingers and hoping you can help out? Enclosed below is my name and full address. .

Followed by the name and address.

I took out the Identifiers in the e-mail. But they are all there...Name, address, etc...

There is no indication that he knew which station he was emailing...I am just wondering if this feels like some kind of spam. Like if I answer, the next e-mail will come from the former prince of Nigeria.

If it's legit, I have absolutely no problem helping the guy out. But, for some reason, I am not sure it feels right.

What do ya think?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you get solicited a lot for used CDs, I'd be skeptical. I get lots of e-mails asking for my filled-up reporters notebooks :D

You could double-check on the guy though, call a local recruiting office or poke around online. Hopefully it's legit.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As an ex-sailor, I can tell you that the best way would be to contact a local Navy Family Service Center (there's one on every single base) or the USO (there's one in virtually every single major U.S. city) and find out if they have lists of units deployed and can recommend ways to suppor those guys.

Be wary of solicitations by people supposedly representing individual units. If the units were trying to get specific donations or gifts, usually that effort would be spearheaded by the spouse group representing that unit, since they have official representation with the unit's commanding officer.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Thanks Alley, Those are the kind of suggestions I hoped to get.

I would be willing to put together hit discs for these guys. I am a country jock but I work for a company that has several formats.

Thanks again for the help.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That unit should/may also have a web site with a direct like to the unit's ombudsman. That would be THE place to start.

I used to be stationed with SeaBees. Tough, good guys (and gals) for the most part. Any support of them would be appreciated from afar.

Draft saved Draft deleted