1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am floating today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Seahawk, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

This morning, my wife and I heard the heartbeat of our first child for the first time ever. She is about 10 weeks pregnant, so we're not quite through the first trimester. Hearing that sound was absolutely amazing today, especially since we have struggled for several years to start our family.

We've had two previous miscarriages (that we are aware of) and had actually made the decision a couple months ago to adopt, since we didn't think this would happen for us. Then, just before Christmas, we found out that we have one on the way. Even this time, we've had a couple some scary moments where we thought we lost the baby (my wife has had a rough go of it, already ordered to bed rest for the time being).

This morning, everything else was forgotten for a few minutes as we listened to our baby's heartbeat. It was joy like I have never felt before.

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit here. With everything that can go wrong in this world so often, this morning was a place and time that will stay with me forever.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Beautiful moment, Seahawk. I will keep my fingers crossed (metaphorically, of course) for you and your wife. :)

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Seahawk - As a father of two, congrats. My oldest turned 18 last month, but I remember everything like it was yesterday.

An even greater feeling than hearing the heartbeat is watching the child's birth. Nothing is more moving.

All the very best to you and your wife.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great news, Seahawk.

Best wishes to your family.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You will never work harder at something than being a father, and you will never enjoy anything more than being a father.

Congrats

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Seahawk, this is great. Congratulations!

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Awesome, Seahawk.

That really is a special moment... I've had the joy of hearing it twice.

Looking at the heart beating on the ultrasound is a pretty awesome moment, too.

And kudos on adopting, as well. My middle child is adopted, a former foster child, and he's one of the great joys of my life, too.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The trippiest, most incredible sounds ever. My first son's heartbeat was an out of body experience the first time we heard it. The second was just as great.

Congrats and best of luck.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Congrats!

I've done a lot of fun things in my life. But the best experience I've ever had is laid back in a recliner, holding my daughter while she slept on my chest. Those tiny little fingers clutched at my tee shirt and when she woke up, she looked at me and smiled.

That's my advice to every expectant father - let the baby sleep on your chest once a week or so. It'll change your world.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome! Best of luck the rest of the way!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

...and your child is floating, too :) Cherish every moment, as you obviously already are. Congrats.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me too.

Also telling stories and then reading the kids to sleep.

I don't read to them anymore but I still have to tell my youngest to put the book up and then turn out his light for him and he's a teenager.

Draft saved Draft deleted