1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am above the rules if it's my religion...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Have you ever been approached by a door-knocking evangelist?

Seriously?

Have you ever crawled out from under a rock?

If you're a male, are you on your time of the month?

It's not like every comment I make I endorse as a personal statement of belief.

Go take a shit. Maybe you'll get some relief.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Work with me here, people.

Let's say she WASN'T being loud. Let's say this WAS a case of religious persecution. Why should she have stopped? If her voice was a reasonable level, why should she cave?

Playing devil's advocate, but everyone's really firm that as soon as someone says "Shut up" she should, even if she's NOT breaking any rules.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not someone. It's the driver, who is in charge within the bus. And if she is being loud and bothering the driver and other passengers, she was breaking rules when she refused to stop.

And it's that one quote from her, the one about why she continued, that gives me the very strong impression that she felt she was above the rules.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Understood. But what if she WASN'T?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Did she say she told the driver she wasn't being loud?
    No, she said it's her Sabbath, she'll do what she wants.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But the only quote we have from the driver is that it's not the time nor the place.

Not "This is not the volume."

To me, someone tells me I have to stop reading something because it's not the time, nor the place, I'm going to assume it has nothing to do with the volume.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

At least she wasn't reading it into a cell phone. Now THAT would have been truly offensive.

I say, with all deference to the Christian minority here: STFU, woman.

Anyone who rides a bus from time to time will understand.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh trust me...anyone that knows me wouldn't believe I'm arguing this side. I'm as anti-public religion as one can be. Hell, I'm as anti-religion as one can be.

I just think everyone's jumping to one side without seeing what's really there, is all.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Oh, I think I understand your argument. You're arguing individual rights; I'm arguing a pet peeve, frankly, which I suppose I could call the common good if I wished to politicize it.

I was riding the bus home the other evening next to a woman talking on a cell phone. When she said, "Oh, we're coming into a tunnel, it's so noisy, I'm going to have to shout..."; that's when I got up and moved. (I failed to ask myself, WWFD.)

May that woman spend the rest of her life riding next to out-loud-Bible-reading Seventh Day Adventists. In that case, I would approve.

The sacrifices I make for the environment...

10. 666.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, look at the source of that quote. It is the woman saying what the driver told her. It is not from the driver.

Maybe she genuinely believes she was persecuted for her faith. Maybe she thinks she is the Rosa Parks of Seventh Day Adventists. If that's the case, the driver was still right to enforce the rules, but I would at least have a tad more sympathy for her.

But really, I think she just didn't want to listen and now she wants to play the victim card.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

IJAG, the comment about time and place came from the Adventist, not the driver. The Adventist is claiming the driver said that. We don't know for sure that the driver really did.

In fact, before that quote we don't know exactly what the driver said or what the woman really said. So, for the sake of fairness, I’ll bring that quote back:
    [quote author=Seventh Day Adventist] "[the bus driver] then said, 'Well I don't think this is the place or the time to do so.' And I said, 'Oh, but it's the perfect time and the perfect place since it is our Sabbath and it is the time with the Lord and therefore I'm going to continue.' And I continued," she explained. [/quote]
    Giving the Adventist the benefit of the doubt, what exactly did the bus driver say before explaining that this isn’t the time or place? I’m pretty sure we can all agree that the bus driver didn’t just turn around and start the conversation with “This isn’t the time or place” and end it like that.

My guess would be that the driver turned around and said, “Ma’am, you are being too loud. For the sake of the other passengers can you please quiet down?” Based on the woman’s quote of herself, I would guess her response would be, “I don’t think I’m being too loud.” To this the bus driver would probably threaten to throw her off the bus if she doesn’t stop.

Obviously, I could be wrong. But I don’t think that the driver started the conversation with some derogatory comment towards religion. The Adventist would have used that quote instead. Remember the Adventist is trying to make a case that this is religious persecution. In doing so, the harshest thing she is claiming the driver said is, “This isn’t the time or place.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.