1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I admit it. I ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Oct 12, 2016.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As a big classic rock fan, I'll try to help you there.

Classic rock is like the proverbial definition of obscenity; you can't define it, but you know it when you hear it. Classic rock transcends dates and eras. You can have classic rock that predates the Beatles (Green Onions and anything by Chuck Berry) and you can have classic rock that was released last week (Drive-By Truckers' new record). The heart of the classic rock genre, though, runs from about 1966 through 1995.

It's generally guitar-driven, with a fairly standard format song-wise; that is, 2-3 verses, a guitar solo for the bridge, then a closing verse and maybe a closing solo. But, again, there is enormous variance in the song structure of a typical classic rock song. A classic rock song doesn't necessarily have to be electric either. There are plenty of classic rock songs that are totally acoustic (LZ's Going to California and Traffic's John Barleycorn being two examples off the top of my head). There is jazz-oriented classic rock (much of Steely Dan's repertoire) and country-flavored classic rock (much of Southern rock), and the blues are a major foundation for what we now consider classic rock.

I'm sure the music lovers on the board may have their own view of what is and isn't classic rock, but that's how I see it.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Classic rock: Layla, Magic Man, More than a Feeling, Sweet Emotion, Runnin with the Devil, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Lola, Get Back, Freebird.

Mix in a few commercials and repeat. Hour after hour after hour ... :)

FileNotFound and Ace like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is fabulous.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No shit. Very well done.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

... am listening to the new Rick Astley CD.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You Rickrolled yourself. Outstanding.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Classic rock is not a genre, it's a marketing and programming classification.
    If you are a white male who falls in the Boomer or Gen X segments, any music you like is classic rock.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Yeah ... I phrased that badly. ;)

Huggy and Vombatus like this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Been there.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Bob Dylan.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

have a beer fridge that consists of Genesse and High Life.
    I love cheap beer.

Huggy and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted