1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I absolutely (expletive) cannot stand Whitlock anymore

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One more fist in my face from Chavez and one more shit-eating grin from Ahmadinejad, though, and I am seriously considering dropping them from my MySpace friends list.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, and that occurred more than 150 years ago. I fail to see what it has to do with a football game between KU and UM in 2007. Sorry, but reading "racial connotations" into the game solely based on that is nonsense.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Read this. Mr. Whitlock did.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/49449/

Here's the shirt mentioned earlier in this thread:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Damn, wonder if those are still for sale

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I was going to ask this on the other thread, but it slipped my mind: Does having the logo on the shirt mean tacit approval from the university? Are you allowed to use an official logo without the school's approval? Didn't a grade school in Pennsylvania recently have to change its logo because it so closely resembled the Nittany Lion?

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm just saying all that goes toward the extended hatred between Kansas and Missourians.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will still pay cash money to anyone who can get their hands on one of the Kansas John Brown shirts and ship it to me.

Seriously, PM me.

8. Zeke12, that makes two of us.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you don't understand the slave/free aspect that this rivalry is rooted in, you shouldn't rip Whitlock for mentioning it. Check out the Mizzou/Kansas thread for more background. Whitlock didn't invent the backstory or overplay it. It sounded like he's got a family friend on Missouri's team.
    Whitlock didn't play the race card at all or bring up something that hasn't been discussed before. If you want to rip him, rip him for being buddies with chronic underachiever Jeff George or throwing softballs at Kelvin Sampson.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It means someone used the trademark illegally. I'm sure the university legal staff has already done some work, assuming they can figure out whom to contact.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

In case you missed the Civil War thing, it basically began in Kansas, when people argued over whether Kansas would be a slave state or a free state. Lotta people from Missouri (slave state) went to Kansas and started trouble, including a killing spree in Lawrence. People from Kansas (free state) then went to Missouri and killed people.
    Next thing you know, Kansas is No. 2 and Missouri is No. 4 in college football.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

C'mon, calling that a "backstory" to this football game is seriously stretching it. When you think of game having a backstory, its things like coaches competing against former teams, or when Bama played Tennessee after Fulmer turned em in, or when the Pats play the Mangini/Jets again after spy gate. In other words, a story that actually relates to the teams, institutions, or people involved in the game, and occuring within the last century. NOT something occuring 150-something years ago between people who had absolutely nothing to do with either of these universities.

Draft saved Draft deleted