1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I-AA Schools Now Eligible For Football Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I-AA football has two polls. One is the Sports Network poll and is pretty much an SID-voted poll. The other is a coaches poll, and essentially, an SID-voted poll.

AP distributes the I-A USAToday/ESPN coaches poll, too.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And why do we not have a I-A football playoff system whereas the I-AA/FCS has one?
    I'm sure a man or several men were behind that decision. :)

I'm with Headbutt... what does it matter. Give App State a week at No. 25 and then they won't crack the top 25 again. Give 'em props for beating "the winningest program" but then, next week, the poll will change.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Between this and your quip about illegal aliens ...

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The Sports Network polls is at least partially a media poll, if not a media-only poll.
    I used to be a voter - and, I swear, I watched as many I-AA teams on national television as possible. ;D

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Perhaps. For some reason I've always been under the impression it was an SID poll. I just checked the SportsNetwork.com site and it didn't have anything explaining who votes in it that I could find in my quick glances.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

It's totally a knee-jerk reaction. They'd be better off to just have a separate FCS poll for that "subdivision."

Plus, it's not like any of those teams are really among the top 25 in the country ever, so it's all in jest.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] Vote Appy State No. 5 this week. They beat last week's No. 5.[/blue]

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding.

Announcing this prior to the season would have made the declaration proactive.
    Announcing it after Appalachian State took out Michigan in The Big House and it's reactive.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Waiting for Van Brimmer to chime in here...

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And who would that be?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Put Chowan at No. 19.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because the AP poll is half the I-A national championship, and even though it's not part of the BCS anymore, you'd have to be crazy to think it doesn't influence the voters in the Harris poll. This isn't basketball, where the polls are basically meaningless. The polls mean a lot in college football.

Draft saved Draft deleted