1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I-81 through Pa. and NY; travel advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CNY

CNY Member

You can check out the Ithaca Beer brewery as well. I grew up in Ithaca, and fall is definitely the best time of year.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Good call on the brewery. It has outdoor seating and good food along with their various beers.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

After talking it over with a buddy who went to Ithaca (and from the suggestions here), there's a good chance we spend a morning/afternoon there on the way back. Gotta make it home for the Skins game, though, but it's the Sunday Night game, which is nice.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If you're there in the morning and want to get breakfast, the farmer's market has some really good options. There was a place at the market that did really good breakfast burritos when I was there. Plus, you can pick up some other fresh, excellent food to take home with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

We'll probably do breakfast in the Syracuse area. But probably lunch in Ithaca, depending on how long we end up hanging around. My buddy told me about a place called Shortstop Deli, or something like that.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you do Ithaca, I second the farmer's market. It's pretty good.

Not sure what you are up for in Ithaca. There is a walk around Cornell's campus -- it's a great campus -- but if you are not up for that and want something nature-themed, Taughannock Falls State Park is one of my favorite places. Great gorges and an amazing cascading waterfall.

7. JackReacher

Yeah. I've been told to visit the waterfall and a couple other spots, including a pretty cool looking walking bridge.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

When the fuck did we start "doing" cities and meals? I hear this all the time now.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Debbie did Dallas. Jason Biggs did a pie.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're probably talking about the suspension bridge on Cornell's campus that takes you over Fall Creek gorge. If that is part of the itinerary, you'll be giving yourself something of a tour of Cornell. When you walk across, keep in mind that the safety railing is a relatively recent addition. A lot of Cornell's reputation for having a lot of suicides stems from incidents involving that bridge.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

There are a few different waterfalls, but I second Ragu that Taughannock is the best. That is a bit out of town, though. If you do a hike in town, Buttermilk and Treman are right near each other.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you stop at Cornell don't bend over:

http://cornellsun.com/node/56823

Draft saved Draft deleted