1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 22, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, in the latest shooting of a young black man, by a white St. Louis cop, the very open and transparent St. Louis Police Department has:

-- not released the cop's name

-- not released any evidence to show the dead man fired a weapon:

-- Changed their story repeatedly:

http://ow.ly/CJs2y

-- Released information regarding the dead man's arrest record:

So, why aren't we asking more questions about this case, and why isn't the St. Louis PD coming under fire similar for their handling of the case?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fatigue, probably.

In St. Louis it's a big story and has renewed energy around the protests.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Apparently, there's a video (not from that night) that shows him with the gun that was recovered at the scene. If true, that's very good for the cop, as it would be pretty hard to plant a gun on the guy that he's previously been shown on video possessing.

But, the rest of the story is very shaky.

And, I still don't understand the media's lack of interest in the cops name in every case other than in Ferguson.

Every story just says the cops name has not been released. The media could learn the name if they wanted to. They choose not to.

I don't know if this is because they don't think it's newsworthy, or because they don't want to rock the boat with the local government/police department upon whom they rely upon for info, and are worried about being shut out.

But, without investigating who the cop is, all we learn about him is from the police department and/or from his lawyer. So, we know this guy is white, 32-years old, a Marine combat veteran, and has been on the force for six years. (That's off the top of my head, but I think it's correct.)

That's all great information. But, shouldn't there be more scrutiny?

I don't even have any idea what his SAT scores were!

Draft saved Draft deleted