1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Inner-city cops are well-known for being calm and reasonable.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Honestly, aren't the vast majority of them?

I know there are bad cops, and they get a lot of attention, but I don't think most, or even a lot, are looking for a confrontation.

And, I do think you will get back the same kind of energy you put out there, for the most part.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your answer is yes.

But if you're a minority in these neighborhoods, it only takes a few to sow a justifiable lack of trust.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree with the second part, within reason. But I think you might be surprised how many officers look down on people and want to play the tough guy. I know quite a few cops, and the majority are arrogant and obnoxious because of the culture they are in. Not to say most aren't good guys, but they just have a different outlook than civilians, because they have to have that edge to do what they do.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I've been pulled over, I tend to contest every ticket through the courts. Sure, I seldom get relief, but I figure if enough people raise a stink about a particular officer, or an intersection that seems prone to a lot of tickets, there will be a paper trail.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That works both ways.

8. YankeeFan

CNN’s Don Lemon reported that Sgt. Major Dan Page of the St. Louis County Police Department, who earlier tried to aggressively remove Lemon from what Lemon said was a designated media area, was relieved from his duties after video of him giving a politically-charged speech surfaced.

In the clips of the speech shown by CNN, the officer says, “if you don't like each other that much, just kill each other and get it over with. Problem solved. Get it done. Don't be wasting cops' time.” And “if you don’t wanna be killed, don’t show up in front of me.” Lemon reported that the officer “goes on to about President Obama being from Kenya, he also says more disparaging things about women, about women in the military, about gays.”

John Belmer, the Chief of the St. Louis County Police, apologized for the comments, declaring that they violated the department’s code of conduct and were “not indicative of the St. Louis County Police Department, they're not indicative of the officers that he works beside, and frankly, he's let them down.” Lemon said Page has been “relieved of his duties [and is] going to have to undergo a psychiatric examination.

http://bit.ly/YLsa5A

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don Lemon is not having a good week.
    CNN’s Don Lemon hosts disastrous interview with Talib Kweli in Ferguson, Mo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/cnn-don-lemon-hosts-disastrous-interview-talib-kweli-ferguson-mo-article-1.1912487

Don Lemon Has No Idea What an Automatic Weapon Is, But You Should

http://gawker.com/don-lemon-has-no-idea-what-an-automatic-weapon-is-but-1625159493

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I actually like Don Lemon and think he does a credible job as a TV anchor. Yet this is so much about the cable types inject themselves into this.

11. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. This happened in April, right?
    Why wait?

Draft saved Draft deleted