1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetically...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CradleRobber, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

You should take the job now and start making the money while you can. There are plenty of very high quality online programs that are accredited and accepted just like the traditional schools that you can use to finish out your bachelors degree in these days.
    You've got a job offer now. You may not have one in two years.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If he is good enough, he will.

And if the place offering him is run by people who have half a brain, they'll understand why a young guy may want to continue living the college life for two years and not rush into adulthood.

3. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

If he's good enough to get the job offer now, what's the extra two years of college going to do beside give him a piece of paper to hang on his wall?
    Take the job now, do the online courses while you work, and when the time comes to hang that piece of paper on the wall, you should have enough money to buy yourself a very nice frame to hang it in.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i didn't start college until i was 21 and had a job offered to me my junior year at a pretty decent paper. i, still to this day, wished i would have taken the job ... but then again i'd worked through my asshattery by that time, kind of.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's not all about money.

It's about the experience of being in college.

Blahblahblah, it's overstated, you say. Well, half the time nowadays, people are rushed into adulthood, either by their own choosing or by pushy parents. And on the other end of the spectrum, we have helicopter parents who are there doting on their kids in college.

CR, having rushed myself into the working world, I say enjoy the final two years of your schooling and socializing before joining the rest of us.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Everyone is different, I guess. I'm just speaking from my experiences.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw wick, i kinda was agreeing with you, kinda. i guess you do have to get some asshattery out of your system before you're expected to be a man ... which kind of sounds like the working title to a kenny rogers song.

8. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

If he takes the job now and continues his education online, in two years he has his degree and two years experience under his belt.
    There will be no job you can't apply for then.
    Take the job now kid and finish your degree online. You will not regret it.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The college degree will give you more options later when you become disenchanted with life at the paragraph factory.

Without that degree already in hand, some day you'll know that you'll want to quit the job but can't afford to for at least two more years because you have to finish up your degree work.

10. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

Most employers frown at resumes that show someone hopping around from job to job in less than two years per stop anyway. If he takes the job, he can finish his degree online in two years and when he's ready to move on in two years, he will be in great shape and a potential employer will like the fact he has the degree and stayed put for two years in one job.
    Its a win-win for him.

11. It's a win-win if newspapers are even still around in two years.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Normally I'd agree with you. But in this job climate, I'm inclined to say take any good offer that comes your way. There might not be a job -- or hell, with the way things are going, a functioning newspaper -- in two years.

Of course, that brings up a good counter-argument. There's a good chance the kid could take the job now, and STILL not have a job in two years.

My advice? Go to law school :)

Draft saved Draft deleted