1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetically...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CradleRobber, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Don't let anyone other than you make such a huge decision.

2. I was going to tell you to get the degree but after reading everyone else's posts, I think this is a decision you have to make based on what you think is best. Consider all factors and then make the best choice that you can live with and have no regrets.

I chose to get my degree and I have no regrets. You might need to choose this job, depending on your situation over the degree right now. If so, go for it. I would recommend that you do what some of the others have suggested and attend school even on a part-time basis of 1-2 classes so that you do actually finish the degree. I like that idea the best but do what's best for you.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My standard statement is: Having a degree never hurts you, not having a degree never helps you. You can help or hurt yourself in other ways, of course.

A decade ago, two decades ago, this would have been a tough choice for someone . . .hypothetically. But now? The offer might sound great in the context of the pay, the position and maybe wnting to get into the workforce ASAP.

But with the way newspapers are going, five years from now this hypothetical person would want to have the bachelor's degree in hand, because that will create more options for what happens next. So even if the job cannot be turned down, it's best to keep one foot in education.

As for the earlier remark about grad school not making one a better journalist . . . . it depends on where you go, and what you choose to study. Certain places suit certain people's goals.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Everyone here made good points. I have a question: How are your grades? Are you doing well in school, or are you on the verge of flunking out? I've known people who never earned a BA but wound up at major outlets. And I once worked with a guy who got turned down by a major paper because he didn't have one -- even though his dad had been the ME there. It's a tough call for you.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

What Truman Capote said.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Get the degree. Nail some more sorostitutes. Enjoy life.

If they think that highly of you, they will hire you once you've gotten the piece of paper and you've worked the partying out of your system.

7. Get a degree, but change your major to a field that will pay real money. In 15 years, when you're ready to get out because you're still making $35k, you'll wish you had something to fall back on.

8. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son Member

Best advice yet.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take the job. if you want out of this biz in 5 years, you'll have experience to fall back on. unless you go into education, a degree isn't worth as much as experience.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Is the journalism-Spanish connection there for a reason? What were you hoping to do once college was over?

I side with those who suggest getting that sheepskin, one way or another.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If writing is your passion and you plan on doing a career in journalism/writing, I would take the gig and in a couple of years, if you are not satisfied with it, you could always revert back to school.

Another factor is if you really like the place you are working for.

Another option, which I have done is go to school part time while working in a couple of years time.

I would take the offer if presented to me and if I were in your shoes.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Being a college kid is worth the experience, though, tp.

Trust me, I held off on college, and being an immature asshat and drunkard actually helped me mature in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted