1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Vick flips on fellow players thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Aug 27, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My understanding of Vick's plea is that he has to testify about other dogfighting rings, including those that NFL players participate in.

If Vick's testimony implicates 10 players per team--I used ten since it's a nice round number--what would Goodell's reaction be? Year long bans for 320 players? Lifetime suspensions for all?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would say there's no way that many players would be involved in something like this. But if Goodell's going to suspend Vick, he would have to suspend everyone that's convicted of/pleads guilty to dogfighting.

3. Hiro

Hiro Member

"Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. If there are that many athletes involved in this, is it an indictment of pro football beat writers the same way that the steroid scandal was an indictment of pro baseball writers, in terms of them not catching onto this?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not really. What about their play on the field would indicate they're involved in dogfighting?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume that NFL players are the target of the Feds either. They're after the biggest fish in pond, which wouldn't necessarily be athletes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I call dibs on the name Hypothetical Vick.

8. I understand that the parallel isn't exact - but don't you think if there were 300 NFL players involved in this, if it was that pervasive in the culture of the league, that at some point the media dropped the ball in not snuffing it out? It's just a thought - I'm not slamming those guys. Obviously we're dealing in hypotheticals here. I guess the question is - how much should guys on the beat be reasonably expected to ferret out.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Remember, the whole thing started with a "drug investigation involving one of Vick's relatives."

I suspect that may be where the whole thing is ultimately going.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The steroid rumor was there in baseball for a while. McGwire had the andro thing. But if this kind of culture was pervasive enough that 10 percent of the league's players were involved, something would have happened before the feds lucked into Vick on an entirely separate investigation.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, considering that pro football beat writers don't hang with the players during the off time. And that's pretty much the only way they'd know.

Of course, it is possible that the writers were into dogfighting on their own and occasionally ran into some players at the underground fight venues. Yeah, then I'd see your point.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Where's the condemnation of Vick for snitching from those who condemned his buddies for snitching on him?

Draft saved Draft deleted