1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Situation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DEB, Oct 4, 2007.

1. DEB

DEB Member

Need some advice here....

If a lady and and a gentleman had dinner last night but after the dinner the lady did everything and said everything to indicate that she is not interested in seeing him again, and receives a dozen red roses at work this morning, should they:

1) return back to sender since it is not going anywhere and don't want to give the wrong inidcation
    2) accept the flowers and say nothing
    3) accept the flowers but reiterate that no further dates are taking place
    4) any other suggestion

If SJ'ers can give me their opinion on this that would be great! If it were yellow roses, that's fine, but red ones are a sign of romance...

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I like that you call it hypothetical, then say "They're red roses."

Fantastic.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I was just noticing that.....if it's hypothetical, then how do you know they are red roses?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Release the ... oh, bother. Never mind.

My romantic advice isn't worth the pixels it's printed on, but No. 3 sounds like the best option. It's not like the sender can return the roses for a refund (he can't, right?). Maybe even give them to a co-worker whose day needs brightening.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is why my wife didn't get roses for the first time until after we ...um...

6. Cansportschick

Well, you could now say that she didn't mind the wait....

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Like the Kiss song I'm listening to right now says,

"I don't wanna romance, I don't wanna dance, I just wanna forget you. Time to take my chances, find somebody new. I just wanna forget you."

Send him an email with the song attached. Maybe he'll get the idea.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So no Kama Sutra for him?

9. Cansportschick

yeah, but that still leaves the roses.....the "hypothetical lady" can't email them

10. Cansportschick

DEB, the "hypothetical one" should have tried this....it could have been a deal breaker!!!

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Did you actually say in no uncertain terms you -- uh, the hypothetical woman -- wasn't interested? Some people are more dense than others.

A similar situation happened to me about 20 years ago, only there was no date. This guy decided he was interested, and showed up at work with a dozen red roses. I explained to him that I was already spoken for and couldn't accept the roses. He insisted I keep the roses after a rather painful discussion. Painful because I didn't want to break his heart, but I was simply not interested. I gave the roses to one of my co-workers.

Call him, tell him thanks but no thanks and ask him what you should do with the roses.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leave the gun, take the canolis.

Draft saved Draft deleted