1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Michigan/Florida question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Dec 3, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's a nice piece. Bomani Jones said pretty much the same thing a different way on Page 2 today.

2. GFav44

GFav44 Member

I understand where he is coming from. But it seems like Rosenberg is saying regular season games mean nothing if you have a playoff. What about momentum? Lets take it with this year teams...OSU-the favorite riding a 12 game winning streak, Michigan-wanting a rematch is motivation to win, Florida-wants to prove to everyone they are better than some thing, Lousiville-looking for respect, USC-backed into the playoffs with a let down at UCLA but still dangerous, Wake Forest-just glad to be there, Boise State-looking to be the cinderella of the college football world, Oklahoma-not as strong as they used to be but can still sneak up on teams, LSU-the last team in and (with the help of Florida) wants an all SEC final to prove to the college world the SEC is the best football conference.

Now, how is that scenario not as good as the old system or the BCS system we have now?

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's some logic. And helluva lot of wasted research time. But nice try.

Here's the fact: Take away OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin and every other team in the Big 10 is, at best, the seventh or eighth best team in the SEC. Hell, Wisconsin would be the fifth best team.

There's a big difference, when arguing this whole strength of schedule bullshit, in scheduling a couple of patsies to round out the year and playing in a conference loaded with them.

You hand any of the top five SEC teams the schedule Michigan played this year and all of them are sitting in the exact same spot the Wolverines are right now. Hell, a couple of them might be sitting where OSU is right now, considering going on the road to play a top-5 team isn't exactly a rarity for SEC schools.

You can try to get around it all you like, but the SEC is the toughest football conference this year. That's not always the case. More often than not it is, but not always. Why that's so hard for people to admit is baffling, especially with all the facts staring at you.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, it's a FACT that is obvious if you just look at how many SEC players are in the NFL vis a vis players from other conferences.

And we can extrapolate that MYTH concept to the hype the Big Ten receives.

Charles Woodson (Big Ten) won the Heisman, but Champ Bailey (SEC) is a better player. Was never on Heisman radar.

Eddie George (Big Ten) won the Heisman, but Jamal Lewis (SEC) is proving to be a better player. Was never on Heisman radar.

LeVar Arrington (Big Ten) was all the rage coming out of college, but Al Wilson (SEC) is a better player.

The Big Ten basically has ABC and ESPN singing its praises four months every year. That's quite a hurdle the SEC has to climb every year.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one has problems admitting it -- this year. But let us admit it on our own.

Where the backlash starts is when the SEC media starts standing on the table every year and saying "we're tough! we're tough! We're the best! You guys can't compare to us! We're real good! We're the only conference that is any good and the only one that matters! No one else has any talent!"
    And so, thusly tired of the 5-year-old telling his mommy 'look at me, watch me, watch me' whining, the rest of the sporting world delights at finding ways to poke holes in the theory and starts discrediting the winners by saying things like "even though Florida played 10 bowl teams, they really aren't any good" just to watch the hilarity ensue...

Or something like that

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Oz, Michigan's offense is better, and more balanced, than Florida's. And after studying the Florida-Arkansas tape late last night I've come to a few conclusions:

Florida will struggle to move the ball consistently.

Florida won't get 14 points off OSU special teams' blunders.

Florida, which has a fast defense, will have trouble containing Smith and his backs and receivers. Arkansas had big plays to be made but no QB to make them.

Florida will lose.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If the conference honchos would do the yelling, the media wouldn't have to.

Look at all the howling coming from the Big Ten camp about Michigan.

It's about 100 times louder than anything I heard from SECland when Auburn was snubbed a couple of years ago. And there sure as hell weren't a dozen threads on SportsJournalists.com about it, either.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Really. From what I recall, there was one person saying Auburn got royally screwed and should've shared the damn title -- ME. And I was labeled a great big ol' "War Eagle"-shoutin' homer.

Let Michigan or OSU go undefeated in the regular season and win a BCS bowl and not share a title, then you can talk about getting screwed over. Then you can bitch about how influential the SEC media is.

At least with Michigan, the team had a shot. And that's something no Michigan fan can seem to realize -- the Wolverines had a chance to take the decision out of the hands of the voters and play in the national title game. All they had to do was beat OSU. They didn't.

Florida deserves to be there at least as much as Michigan, if not more. I've got no problem with people wanting to see the Gators get their shot. And there's no legit argument for denying them the chance.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Save for the fact Michigan should have been No. 2 in the final polls. At least the latest College Football Power Index has it right.

10. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Guss what I'm back and this time it's for the BLUE state.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who's Guss? Is he your new boyfriend, COCKDIAN?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course, should Ohio State commit three turnovers and give up short fields (like it did against Michigan), that would most certainly help.

Draft saved Draft deleted