1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Michigan/Florida question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Ten, actually.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, ten...

All I'm saying is while both teams are deserving, to fuck Michigan because you don't want to see a rematch is a bullshit reason.
    The two best teams are the two best teams -- whether it is the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10 or Big East -- and should play in the title game...

That's what the BCS is SUPPOSED to do, not match the champions of the two conferences...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And how do we know Florida isn't the second-best team in the nation. Heck, they might even prove to be the best in the nation. They certainly have the resume to play the title game, I know that.

If you don't screw Michigan, you screw the Gators. Someone wasn't going to be happy. Both had valid arguments.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, of course someone was going to bitch.
    I just ahve a problem with the way Urban Renewal was lobbying for it weeks ahead of time.
    His kids work hard and are deserving.... aren't they all to wind up in that position?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I do, too, but I don't think that translates into screwing Michigan because of the rematch issue. Had USC simply won, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. When it lost, that forced the voters to take a hard look at think about who ought to play the title game between two teams that could make equally good claims for the No. 2 spot.

Michigan's beat Notre Dame and Wisconsin, good victories. Penn State and Central Michigan are the next-best ones. Anyone who says Michigan got screwed ought to look at that schedule -- and the escape from Ball State -- and wonder maybe the BCS really did get it right.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Can we stop saying how many bowl teams a team has faced. Fucking 6-6 teams make bowls. It doesn't mean shit.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen brother... 6-6 teams fire coaches at some places -- bowl or not

8. GFav44

GFav44 Member

The reason Michigan was screwed is simple...They finished their season early. If you remember, after the OSU-Mich game, Michigan was still #2 in the BCS. In the two weeks since, Florida and USC both played 2 more games. Both times, USC and Florida both jumped over Michigan mainly because Michigan didnt play a game. Michigan is being penalized for not playing a game after Ohio State. Not arguing for Michigan, but I think the NCAA should make a rule equalling out the number of games a team plays. If your conference doesnt have a championship, you play 12 games. If your conference does, you play 11 and have a championship game. That way, teams cant jump teams at the end when it counts mainly because a team was idle.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think Michigan was penalized so much as Florida was rewarded. Everyone remembers the Michigan-Ohio State game. No one forgot about it. That game weighed heavily on everyone at the BCS, I'm sure. Michigan just didn't get the nod here.

As for your thought about a new NCAA rule, why can't active teams jump idle teams if they merit it? That happens all the time during the regular season, not just at the finish. Michigan isn't the only team this has ever happened to.

10. GFav44

GFav44 Member

I have dont have a problem with it if the teams are still playing. I just think rewarding a team because they played extra games is wrong.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Found this gem from an "objective" Harris Poll voter on his radio station's website...
    Guess who voted Louisville ahead of Michigan
    FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS: St. Louis Rams, All the SEC Teams
    HATED SPORTS TEAMS: Chicago Cubs, Notre Dame, Big Ten Teams

And he'd be the first to wave the SEC pompon in the face of a voter in a poll if they had it read "hated teams: All SEC teams" regardless of the other conference affiliation...

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Even I wouldn't vote Louisville ahead of Michigan. Florida perhaps. But not the Cardinals. Not this year anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted