1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Michigan/Florida question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Dec 3, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Love it whenever someone attempts to criticize an SEC school's OOC schedule. Because whenever the argument is made, the only thing that's talked about is the OOC schedule. Forget the conference schedule and all those top-10 teams they played.

There are not two portions of a schedule. There's just the schedule. And the only reason to even attempt to break it into portions is because you're trying to make a case for a team whose schedule doesn't stack up so well overall.

Give it up. The fact is, Michigan has just as much business being in the title game as Florida does. Florida has just as much right to it as Michigan does.

In fact, if Florida knocked off OSU and Michigan handled USC, I wouldn't have much of a problem splitting the title. Hell, I'm all for splitting the title. I'd give out five of the damned things every year. Because all five of them would mean just as much as that bullshit trophy held up at the end of the BCS title game.

Oh, and to whoever disagreed earlier, tell me which of these teams Notre Dame could beat: Florida, Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee or LSU. You could make a strong case for Georgia, depending on when the game was played during the year, and Alabama wouldn't have been a cakewalk for ND.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Florida State is a "very middling (bad, even?)" team, but you want extra credit for playing fucking Vandy? Nice. And you left off Florida's win against Southern Miss. A C-USA division winner is at least as good as the MAC champion.

But since you insist, let's compare the better wins for each team. Florida on the left, Michigan on the right.

[table][tr][td]LSU[/td][td][/td][td]Wisconsin[/td][/tr][tr][td]Arkansas[/td][td][/td][td]Notre Dame[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tennessee[/td][td][/td][td]Penn State[/td][/tr][tr][td]Georgia[/td][td][/td][td]Central Michigan[/td][/tr][tr][td]South Carolina[/td][td][/td][td]Minnesota[/td][/tr][/table]

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Whoa. Notre Dame over Arkansas?

The Hogs beat ND by two TDs. Easy.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think dixie simply wanted to throw a bone there, to show how misguided the argument was.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, we've got Tennessee-Notre Dame in the Outback, LSU-Notre Dame in the Sugar and Arkansas-Wisconsin in the Capital One. Should make for some interesting New Year's day preamble before the OSU-Florida game.

6. the fop

the fop Member

Dog and Dixie, great posts. I'll add this: If you're going to penalize Florida for Florida State having a down year (never mind that it's still a rivalry game, on the road), then you also have to dock Michigan for the Big Ten having a down year. Conference was VERY top heavy this year. Penn State? Iowa? Michigan State?

IMO, you can't really fault teams when opponents that look good on paper don't hold up their end. Nobody scheduled Temple.

7. GFav44

GFav44 Member

All this proves is that the college football championship system is flawed. Its not decided on the field but in the mind of the voters by deciding who should play who. Does college football need a playoff system...yes. Because then the championship will be decided on the field. Oh, I remember reading on one of the threads that only conference champions should be in the National Championship, well tell that to the Steelers, Ravens, Marlins and Angels. If you dont remember, all those teams won the championship but were second place teams that didnt win their division.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jeebus, who are you? Jimmy Olson? :D

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I went by BCS rankings for as long as possible before injecting personal bias into the picks. But I don't think many will quibble over the bottom two choices.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So I look at your list and see both teams with five wins against Bowl teams.
    Not going to dispute that both are worthy, but Florida is in that game because it is the SEC champ and people don't want a rematch (including one bubblehead Harris Poll ray of sunshine that had Michigan fourth), not because they are a better team.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Unless I'm mistaken, Florida played 8 or 9 bowl teams.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It did, and Michigan played six or seven. But since he threw a list out comparing teams, I just mentioned which comparison I saw...

Draft saved Draft deleted