1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyperlocal -- where does it stop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

And how!
    And just so we're clear, I have no problem with local news, but I have a big problem with the philosophy that just because it's local, it MUST go on the front.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

It was just a feature about the team (written because of a few squeaky wheels), but my point was that it wasn't timely, and it displaced college football in the Sunday paper.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. But if you are going to be forced into writing about a team that you "never" write about, wouldn't you try to find some interesting angle?

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Ideally. And I'm probably not being fair to the story. The team was undefeated at the time, and the story was well done. But the whole thing was so forced. We didn't do it because it was a good story. We did it because we were told we needed a local centerpiece that wasn't game coverage.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, you aren't the first sports department to be told that.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I am aware. And I'm also aware that this probably won't be resolved or changed. I just needed to vent.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Especially if you happen to live in Podunkville where the biggest local news is some illiterate degenerate robbing a convenience store for the third time in a week.

Or aunt Susie's son's pig winning ninth place at the county livestock show.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nothing wrong with a nice, well-written feature on a non-headline sport. Some of my best stories came on things like triathlon, bowling and 8-man football. The key is knowing WHEN to run it (ie, days when there is nothing much happening).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the pig robbed the convenience store, you'd have something.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Me and some guys are starting lunchtime pickup games at the local gym. We demand coverage.

Why not?

We're real people

We have a couple of brothers and an asian guy so we are a cross section of the community. We are diverse.

A LOT of readers participate in pick-up basketball, so they will relate to the content.

We aren't covered by the national media, so it's news you can't get anywhere else.

So how about it? Our games should be covered. And when they are, I want you guys in the media to know that I'll have media availabilities THREE (3) days before each game day and not before or after. And I'll only answer questions about the next game because we take them one at a time.

Thank you.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You may be local, but are you hyper?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, he is. And he's a ball hog!

Draft saved Draft deleted