1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyperlocal Sports/News Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blacktitleist, Feb 15, 2011.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

From JournalismJobs.com

Editors for hyperlocal news/sports coverage;
    $24k starting salary, no health benefits.
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    March 22, 2011
    Job ID: 1233363

Description:
    Looking for sports writers/editors to contact high school coaches, getting quotes for preview and game stories. Will also assist with obtaining photos, schedules, etc. Hours will be mostly afternoon and evening, with some weekends.

We're also looking for news writers/editors to work on education and business stories. Will also obtain photos, generate story ideas, etc. Regular weekday office hours, with flexibility.

Ideal candidates will be fast learners and will have some experience, but entry-level candidates are welcome. Journalism or English degree preferred.

We run a virtual office, so experience with Skype, Google docs and ability to learn our CMS is required. Where you live/work is not an issue, but know that you will be on the phone and email all day, contacting sources for stories.

Send a resume and a brief note about why this role (sports or news) is a good fit for you. Also, indicate if you're interested in news or sports and full- or part-time.

Salary: $24,000/annually (full-time) or $12/hour (part-time)

Since no company name is given, I wonder what this is all about? Patch, perhaps?

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If I had to wager a guess, a fly-by-night hyperlocal news outlet hoping to get people thinking it might be Patch. Patch pays better and hasn't, as far as I can tell, submitted anonymous job listings.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Patch pays better and offer benefits.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And it sounds like there would be very little actual game coverage. Just reporting on games via the telephone or email.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but always be wary of ads that don't give any indication who or what they are.

5. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Possibly Gannett?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The ads cost $75 to run, so it's probably not just some blog.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I would take that position if I knew who it was. Well, maybe. $24k would be an upgrade for myself, but the whole not-covering-games is odd. I don't like that.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that whole apply for it only to find out it's your job that's being advertised thing is, to put it mildly, awkward. That said, as a part-time telecommute gig, it doesn't sound too bad.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This looks to be Blockshopper.

10. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

I was going to say the same thing. Same MO as an earlier ad for a news editor a few weeks back. They are mostly a real estate listing service but might be branching out. Can't imagine what they are possibly doing in this venture. Selling high school pages to newspapers?

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I always wondered how NBAFrontPage.com got so many job postings on JobsinSports.com

12. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

Did anyone apply and hear back for these positions? I was curious as to who actually was running the listing?

Draft saved Draft deleted