1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyper local!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 29, 2008.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hyperlocal is what happens when anybody trusts surveys and focus groups. Asked if they want to read about their neighbors, people always say, "Yes!" They say so because they think that's the socially acceptable response. It's the one that makes them sound like they're caring, benign, wonderful humans. But it's nonsense. They don't really want to read about 9-year-old swimmers; they just say they do.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I work at a local weekly, but my lede story isn't anything near that soft.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When you work in a city, you probably pay for parking anyway. Of course, you could always get hit twice.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

For a big paper, that's a fucking hideous web site.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

First and foremost, I'd like to commend Mizzougrad and BYH for a couple of tremendous, tremendous posts earlier on this thread. Delightful reading while breaking from writing a merciless news-side centerpiece that's been contracted out to sports.

I must also commend lone star scribe ...

That is right on the money. You can't win for losing. You cover one 9-and-under Dixie team, the other dozen want the same thing the very next day.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

First time I read this I thought the guv had fallen five floors to his death.

I'd like to read Timmy the Choker's take on that.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You're right, but I can't imagine a lot of people are going to inrich.com looking for Mechanicsville Little League, certainly not if they live elsewhere in Va. I check that site quite a bit and I want to see college and pro, maybe some high school coverage.

Truth is there hasn't been much to read in the Time-Dispatch lately. I read both the T-D and the Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg most days and I'm not sure Fredericksburg isn't the better section. That's sad because Richmond has a lot of great reporters and we all know they recently got an upgrade at SE :)

They are a good staff, but Media General isn't giving them the opportunity to put out a sports section worthy of the metro area it serves, and that's sad.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh *** forgot to mention: Aide to Sen. Webb found dead on the side of the road. That has now been moved into the lead position.
    Jake, up yours on the upgrade! (even though you are way correct).-

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I am writing the LL coverage at my paper now, and we don't touch it until teams win their all-star final game to qualify for the state tournament or are in states or regionals (or one of the World Series).

There will be exceptions, like if a 12-year old throws three no-hitters in a row, etc. But we don't cover the actual seasons themselves.

Circulation is about 150K. You'd be surprised at how many people slurp it up.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Local hyper, I say; local hyper.

11. calibretto

calibretto Member

i agree. byh's fun dip quote just replaced john c. reilly's, "youre voice sounded like a combination of fergie and jesus" from step brothers as my favorite quote of the week.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks but that wasn't me. That was Bullwinkle, who is also on quite a roll today on multiple threads.

Draft saved Draft deleted