1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyper local!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 29, 2008.

1. We wouldn't give this kind of coverage to Little League/Babe Ruth/etc baseball or softball until at least a state, maybe even regional, level. 9-year-olds?! What idiot consultant dreamed this up.

This story won't bring readers to your paper or site, other than the parents and grandparents of the winning team. But everybody else will start calling your office, screaming, "Our turn! Our turn!"

For hyperlocal to work, there has to be at least broader local interest. A team of 12-15 9-year-olds? Not so much.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

From one semi-newbie to another: His range is amazing, isn't it?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why thank you, thank you very much. I'm good at something, at least. Sorta. :D

Our story also had much better color from the losing side than Mizzou's did.

"I'm gonna take your dog Scrappy to Michael Vick's estate if you [expletive] like that again!" Richardson said to Timmy.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

True, but our reporter, after getting the Fun Dip quote, instinctively called the Willy Wonka Factory and asked them if they'd like to run a front-page advertisement. They agreed. So gold star to us!!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

You've got a future in this business, noob.

It's probably only six months, but hey, that's four months longer than the rest of us.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is spot on. The Time-Dispatch also has a talented sports staff that's wasted if this is what they are going to cover. Richmond should be covering the Redskins, not Pop Warner.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plus an extra week of severance pay!

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm sure it helps sales a lot to appeal to the 20 parents at a summer swim meet than the thousands who would want more Redskins coverage, but hey.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Completely random thought, but I just figured out how to generate revenue without cutting employees.

Charge for parking!

EDIT: Did I just save newspapers, or screw us all?

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

the site crashed my firefox three times in a row.

i gave up.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Hyperlocal is thisclose to driving me from this business.

I don't know of a single person - writers, editors, readers - who want to read about 12-year-olds bowling, unless it's the parents or the publisher.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind - this is NOT the Times-Dispatch sending a staff writer here and ignoring the Skins. They're all over the Skins. This is the Times-Dispatch on its Web site linking to a local paper in its burbs and giving it major play on its Web site. The guv is being considered for VP, a guy falls five floors to his death at a construction site, etc., but they are played below this story.
    That's what I was wondering about, not sending a reporter there. The TD did not do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted