1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyper local!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

[​IMG]

This kid refused further comment.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those are nice uniforms, though.

3. Mizzougrad96

I thought the only 9-year-olds interviewed by Richmond papers were the ones who dated Marcus Vick.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Everyone gets ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reporter: "When did you know you'd won the title?"
    Coach: "Well, we really liked our chances after we beat Drowning Pool North, but we knew Dennis Wilson High had to beat Drowning Pool South by at least 12 points in order for us to win. So we got on the bus and drove across town to the other Y. Unfortunately, that Y double-booked senior swim, and you know how powerful an electorate those old bags are. So we had to watch a bunch of old Bettys swim laps for two hours before Dennis Wilson edged Drowning Pool South by 13 points. Thank God for that 4x200 relay team. Had they not won in the last event of the day, Dennis Wilson would have won by only three and we would have lost and none of our kids would have gotten scholarships."
    Reporter: *throwing rope on top of ceiling fan, hoping it's strong enough to hold him as he hangs himself*

6. Mizzougrad96

RICHMOND Va. - The Richmond Redbirds had the title won.
    That's what they thought at least until third baseman Timmy Johnson booted a grounder in the sixth inning that ignited a three-run rally that led to Roanoke coming from behind for a stunning 6-5 win.
    "What the fuck is wrong with you?" Richmond coach Jason Richardson was overheard screaming from the dugout as Johnson sobbed uncontrollably.
    Johnson tried to leave the game without speaking to the media but finally relented when a reporter held his glove over his head and wouldn't give it back until he faced the music.
    "I'm sorry," Johnson, 7, said, trying not to cry. "I just want to go home and hide."
    Dean Van Brunt, Richmond's star shortstop assured reporters that when he saw Timmy at school on Monday, he was going to "punch him in the face."

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Keep it positive, even when it seems bad:

STREETS -- The Harlem Hopscotch, helped along by a nine-run second inning, cruised to a 26-14 victory over the Bronx Balloon Animals Monday night -- but it wasn't pretty.

The Hopscotch committed a season-high 17 errors, nine of them by the first baseman, who will not be named in this story per the request of his father, the coach.

"It doesn't matter what his name is," Hopscotch coach Danny Dickhead said. "What matters is that he had fun. We all did."

Dickhead didn't look like he was having fun in the fourth inning. He verbally abused his catcher, who will not be named in this story, after the catcher took the field without his equipment. As punishment, Dickhead made him stay in the ballgame without his equipment.

The catcher later left on a stretcher after taking a fastball to his lower area. He keeled over in pain for several minutes.

"He still had fun," Dickhead said. "I gave him a Fun Dip and told him to take a few days off."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I, for one, look forward to the story about the winning team, hopefully penned by a shitty fucking intern.

RICHMOND, VA--The Roanoke Runts had one shot, one opportunity to seize everythng they ever wanted. One moment. And they didn't let it slip.

An error by beleaguered Richmond Redbirds third baseman Timmy "Dan Uggla" Johnson with two outs in the bottom of the sixth allowed the Runts to mount a stunning three-run comeback and beat the Redbirds, 6-5, in front of 212 SUV-driving parents.

"WE SHOCKED THE WORLD!" said Roanoke first baseman Danny Doolittle. "NO ONE THOUGHT WE COULD DO THIS AND WE DID IT! [Expletive] THE HATERS!"

With that, Doolittle poured a bucket of ice cold water on this reporter.

"That's what you get for covering Richmond more than us," said winning Roanoke pitcher Kevin Jones.

"You're costing these kids scholarships!" yelled coach Tom Thomason as he unleashed his pit bull upon this reporter, leaving him with several gaping wounds.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

sweet

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Laugh all you want, anti-hyper local boys, but those fake stories are better than anything in the paper or on the web right now.

So maybe hyper local stories would be really good if we just hold the kiddies' feet to the fire.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You are on a roll today.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I know the city a bit. It seems to me that it's one of the more sophisticated cities of its size. Three good-size universities. Some major corporations. Good arts scene. Lots of state government activity. Some old money. The impression I get is that people who live there do not believe they live in a backwater, that this is a place that had some prominence in history and does not lack importance now.

I think papers knee-jerk to whatever the current fad is nationwide without considering much whether their market is different. It's irrelevant that people CAN get news of the outside world elsewhere. The big question is whether people who live in a city of a certain size might not appreciate being treated like yokels instead of as citizens of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted