1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hygiene questions -- shaving and showering (with a poll)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 17, 2007.

?

Do you shave before or after you shower?

1. Before

27.7%
  2. After

44.5%
  3. During

24.4%
  4. Never shave (just like the Grizzly Adams look)

3.4%
  1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And we can see the results of all your hard work in your siggy line.

As for me, I'm a shave after the shower guy. Always heard it as shit, shower and shave -- not in any other order.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Get a styptic pencil. That way you won't pass out from blood loss on the drive to work. Ask one of the old geezers at your local drugstore for 'em. Probably stored in back with the macassar oil, arrowroot and cod liver oil.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Except YOU BLEW IT. [/deniro]

Plus, Ragu will find another way to probe into men's grooming habits, which is what he's really interested in.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My dad introduced me to the styptic pencil when I started shaving. I haven't used one since I was 14. Do they even make them anymore? One reason I shave before the shower is that the shower washes away the excess shaving cream. It also firms up any nicks and razor burn. No need for the stypic pencil, when you use a hot shower to firm up your skin and take care of the nicks.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Damn. Had no idea about what a styptic, snikett, sty-pic, stayfree, whatever the hell that is pencil was.
    Till now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styptic

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You can buy them at CVS. They sting a little, but it's better than dripping.

7. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Shower in the morning, shave right before. Mrs. MC Sports Guy used to be a night showerer(??), but I've converted her to the dark side (or would that be day side?).

I just don't get only showering at night. I always feel, oh, about eight hours dirtier at work when I shower at night.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I shave during my shower. If the shower is a little warm, there will be some steam and that loosens up the pores. Also, this way I don't mess up the bathroom sink. It seems to be more efficient because it uses less time.

I clean up, wash my hair, and then put conditioner on my hair and leave it there while I am shaving.

There is also a liquid styptic version available at Target or Wal-Mart.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I shower in the afternoon before I go to work, and I shave after I shower, about every other day. The left half of my neck gets razor burn, so I don't do it every day.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Shave after the shower. Used to like the scruffy look, but I've started shaving more often lately.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I was holding tissue to my face for the first 30 minutes of work this morning because I cut myself a hair below my right nostril. (<-- where the hell else would that be on topic but SportsJournalists.com?). Swear they must think I do crack now.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid-30s but luckily I still don't need to shave every day. I've shaved in the shower for years.

I shower before bed two or three times a week, depending on if I'm feeling a little greasy at the end of the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted