1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hygiene questions -- shaving and showering (with a poll)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 17, 2007.

?

Do you shave before or after you shower?

1. Before

27.7%
  2. After

44.5%
  3. During

24.4%
  4. Never shave (just like the Grizzly Adams look)

3.4%
  1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Shave before shower.

The shower cleans out my pores.

And yeah, shower in the mornings.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not that big of an issue for me, because I have a full beard. But when I'm doing my neck and trimming my cheeks, I do it before the shower. Because it's easier to rinse off the excess shaving soap from my beard in the shower.

3. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Wow. That many sportswriters hit the gym? Who knew?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I echo Inky here. I'm off and on with the beard (depends on how lazy I am with shaving), but I gotta do it before the shower because the hair has to be rinsed off.

Shower in the morning, always (or early afternoon, with my schedule ::)).

But a long, hot shower at night -- not every night, mind you; maybe once a week or so -- is recommended for relaxation and a great sleep. Jump into bed and you're out like a light.

Ragu's girl sounds a little high-maintenance. That's a little disturbing. And don't let her give you that "women are cleaner; men are pigs" speech. A good woman is just as dirty as a man. ;)

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I voted for Mr. Lugs - before. But I don't know why he does that. To me, it would make more sense to shave during or right after because your pores are open, which would give you a closer shave.

I couldn't care less if Mr. Lugs showers before bed. But then again, he doesn't smell bad. ;D

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I'll shower in the morning before I go out, shave after the shower (I use an electric) and then go about my business. Yep, pee in the shower, too.

I'll only ever take a shower at night if I've been doing yardwork or something of the sort during the day, or if I've fallen asleep for an extended period of time during the day given that I sweat while I sleep (I know, that can't be healthy).

But then again, I do nothing at night. Don't brush my teeth, don't wash my face, or any other crap like that. Girlfriend's always doing all of that stuff but she doesn't shower.

Is it a big deal to shower at night? Probably not, and I don't see why you should if you don't need it. If what was said before, that many showers, like football players, will dry out your skin. But then again, you could just shower with her and call it a day.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I shave before my shower, but I do it because my neck gets nicked up all the time. This way the shower can kinda wash off the splotches of blood and I don't get it on my shirts.

Oh, and shower after the gym, before I really get my day going.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Yeah, that new Edge stuff is very good. Smells nice, too.

Shave, then shower. Then Neutrogena or L'Oreal men's anti-aging lotion. Little pricey, but worth it.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I shave after the shower. I used to shave before but then I saw this topic covered on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. So, I followed their suggestion of shaving after and it was a huge improvement for all of the reasons suggested here.

I also shower in the morning. I generally wake up, doing a morning run, eat breakfast and then shower before walking out the door.

I do not shower at night unless there was some particularly dirty activity that occurred that day.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

shower in the morning and shave during.
    Don't need a mirror, do it by feel.
    Definitely the better shave.

On shaving, anyone ever had one done with a straight razor by a barber using that hot foam? Best shave you will ever have.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

That's fantastic.

"GERMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I've tried shaving before showering and it wasn't pretty. Burns like hell. There's something to be said for the warm water opening up the pores and relaxing the skin.

So I shave afterward, rinse with cold water to tighten the pores back up and then use Nivea after-shave cream. Works like a charm.

Draft saved Draft deleted