1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hygiene questions -- shaving and showering (with a poll)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 17, 2007.

?

Do you shave before or after you shower?

1. Before

27.7%
  2. After

44.5%
  3. During

24.4%
  4. Never shave (just like the Grizzly Adams look)

3.4%
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The shower softens the beard for a better shave. Shave after shower.

Most guys consider the morning shower sufficient for acceptable civilian hygiene. Depends on the activity level of the day, though. Nobody showers more often than NFL players. 2x? 4x? That's why they're all up in the lotion in the locker room, because they all shower so much. Too many hot showers can dry out your skin.

Lots of women consider two-a-days the way to go, and find the evening shower particularly therapeutic/relaxing before bed. Also makes you warm, and accentuates snuggly feelings of crisp bed linen, etc.

Why not split the diff, save water, and share the evening shower?

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I shave after the shower -- I get razor burn unless I do that. I also use Barbers Brigade face wash in the shower, so it just works better to do it after.

As far as showering, I generally just shower in the morning right before I leave the house (i.e. within 15 minutes of finishing my shower, I am out of the house). Sometimes I'll take another shower before going to a game if I am kind of gross.

Ragu, look around a press room sometime. And then re-consider if you should be asking sportswriters about society's standards of cleanliness.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After the shower; count me in the softening the beard category...

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I shave right after a shower. I can't do it during...

As far as showering, I do so first thing in the morning and then after a workout. If I shower before bed, I wake up and my bed head is impossible to deal with.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm curious, Ragu, does your girlfriend complain of dry skin? Showers twice a day, every day is most likely wreaking havoc on her skin -- it's stripping the natural oils from her skin. I'm guessing she probably goes through gallons of lotion.

Most women I know do not take two showers a day.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'd hit Sarice.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Shave before the shower ... haven't tried it in the shower because i don't have one of those fancy mirrors.
    Shower in the morning, unless I hit the gym after the day job.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Shower in the late morning ... shave in the shower. I just started doing that, and I noticed the incidence of nicks, especially on the throat, have gone way down. Starting using that new Edge shave lotion, the stuff that comes in a tube. Love it, love it, love it.

Yeah, it makes the shower really long, but that's OK. I'm trying to find all of these ways to get out of the shower quicker, but that's where I really want to be?

Does anyone know how to make one of those radish roses?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I shave after my shower because the heat opens up my pores and makes the shaving easier. I haven't cut myself in a couple of years because of it.

As for the showering, I actually take a very hot bath at night, before bed, and another shower in the morning, before work. The bath helps me relax and it also makes that cold bed feel really awesome when you slid under the covers. Wrap up like a cinnamon bun and conk right out, baby.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

During the shower. But not every day. I hate shaving and do it only 2-3 times per week.

Edit: Wait a second! Ragu has a girlfriend! :eek:

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Insert a knife into the center and twist. Then, to make it bloom, soak it in water for thirty to forty minutes.

12. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

If you're a heavier beard guy, then I think shaving after the shower is the primary option. As a human gorilla, I find that trying to shave without showering first is an invitation to a torn-up face. The shower softens the skin and whiskers.

Draft saved Draft deleted